Thread: Newbie question from a Noob

Newbie question from a Noob

Greetings from the rain soaked South.

This is my first question and first post, thanks in advance for any insight.

I'm 5DMKII seeking and notice that everyone is on backorder save the vendors that front with Amazon. I've been careful and have never been burned by Brooklyn, New Jersey, or Manhattan gear houses that are decietful. I'm curious if these Amazon dealers actually have the stock they post or if it's a - place your order, get the phone call routine, for an upsale or the backorder notice, after they have your CC info and order in the system.

[I spend a lot of time in NYC and have family in Brooklyn and NJ, I'm not shagging the place, just the handul of scam artists there]

I've bought gear from B&H and a handful of ebayers I trust.

I'm seeking the 5d and the 24mm LII.

Thanks again

Greg

Re: Newbie question from a Noob

I buy most of my equipment through Amazon. Never a problem. I stick with BH and major suppliers.

I have third party experience with discount NY dealers. If the price is too good to be true then its not legit. Bait and switch.

Pay the price and go on. Not to say you cant get a great deal on Amazon.

<h3>If the price is too good to be true then its not legit. Bait and switch.</h3>

They haven't gotten me but nearly got my wife once. It wasnt' Abes of Maine but the name reminded me of that, like Rays of Main or something. Typical, called after the online order, telling her her model was out of stock but the next model up was blah blah blah. Can't remember the exact pitch. I give them credit that when she said cancel the order they did it with no pressure and it showed up as cancelled almost immediately.

I have purchased some items from Amazon store fronts including some B+W filters and a BG-E2N. I have never had a problem, everything has been new and as advertised. As long as you order and pay through your Amazon account, you are covered by the "Amazon a to z" guarantee. As I said, I have never had any need to see if the guarantee works, but it is there as a plan B. Also, I am on good terms with my credit card companies and they would definitely back me for a legitimate problem.

Three cautions:

Quote Originally Posted by GAButler

I've been careful and have never been burned

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

1 -- If the price seems too good, especially on hard to get items that is a huge red flag. I move on.

Quote Originally Posted by GAButler

they have your CC info and order in the system.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

2 -- As far as CC info both my Visa and Discover cards have "disposable" one time use and merchant specific numbers. If I am making a purchase for $999.95 I set the limit at $1000.00 and any charge for more is rejected. Also if I have a problem with one merchant, I can close that number out with out the fuss of dealing with getting new credit cards.

3 -- As a final caution, I always print out a copy of the web page with the seller's description -- "Genuine Canon Product", "Retail Packaging", "Brand New", etc. That way if the item is not as advertised I have something other than my memory to file a claim with.

Having said all that, let me finish by reiterating that I have ordered a number of things from Amazon and never had a problem. One last tip (request?) when you order, it helps Bryan keep this site going if you use the links found at the end of his reviews.

Enjoy your new gear when you get it.

Chris []

Thanks Chris and iND,

Good to hear from experience with the Amazon vendors; and I hadn't read enough to know about the amazon protection layer beyond standard CC protection.

Grazi

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]Be careful of GRAY Market items. <o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]Amazon vendors have sold Gray market items in the past. <o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]Gray market is not a USA Warrantee product, so the price is lower.<o></o>

Bob makes a point on grey market product. I have never received anything except "USA" products. I do look to see if the product is listed as having "USA Warranty" usually. But, as long as the product is properly represented I would not have a problem with "Grey Market". Having said that, you may want to check Bryan's article "USA vs Grey Market Canon Lenses..." in the about Canon lenses section. Here is the link -- sorry I do not Know haw to make it hot, you will have to cut and paste it into your browser.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Gray-Market.aspx

Read that and decide what you feel most comfortable with.

Chris