Thread: A little help and suggestions on my traveling lens

A little help and suggestions on my traveling lens

Hello everyone, I will be starting my 4 months long adventure in S.E. Asia at the end of this year, and really could do with a wise advice and some great suggestions on this trip regarding on the these new lenses!

I got a 450D and just bought myself a Canon 10-22mm lens for the UWA purpose, but am struggling and cant decide what lenses would be on my next shopping list.

A] a 24-105mm F/4 L with a combination of 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8

B] a 70-200mm f/4 IS USM with 50mm f1.4

and finally

C] a 135m f/2 L USM with ???????? may be a 24-105mm F/4 L or anything you can recommend????

I'll be shooting at anything to everything as this trip would be one of a life time for me (been saving for so long). But also my personal favorite would be portraiture pictures of people out there and their cultures.

So yeah, your advise and suggestions would be amazing and will help me to decide, which are the right gear for those amazing moments on this trip!

Many thanks,

Freddy ;-]

Re: A little help and suggestions on my traveling lens

I would go for (if money allows)

24-105 f/4
    70-200 f/4

With your 10-22mm, you have them covered a nice focal length, and the f/4 lens' will be lighter than any f/2.8 lens.

Or to be simpler:

28-300 f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-300mm-f-3.5-5.6-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Saying all that, when I was out in Sierra Leone last year I took a 28-135mm with me, and only changed it for my 100mm f/2.8 lens now and then.

I have traveled with the 70-200 2.8 IS USM and found it to be a very nice lens, robust and tack sharp. Some say it is very heavy, I do not think so but this is a consideration for carry on luggage.

Depending on if you feel you need 2.8 (jungle shots and other low light situations) you may be well served with a slower lens, such as the f/4.

For portraiture I have had great results with the 100 2.8 but that is not what I do, I got this lens mainly for macro and it has not let me down.

Hope this helps.

Be safe and happy shooting..

Chris...

I suggest the 24-105 f/4 L IS, it's a good walk around lens. Along with your 10-22 this is a great set up.

Less gear = more photos because you don't have to worry/take care of your gear.

Have fun on your trip and stay safe[]

Have you considered a 18-200 type of lens? Yes, they're not as fast, have more distortion, but IQ in recent models is very decent and you won't have to swap lenses. Just a thought.

The best bet is either 24-70 L or 24-105 L