Thread: Is there a need for a shutter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Is there a need for a shutter?

The Nikon D40's manual says not to take pictures with the sun in the frame, as it will melt the camera's innards. Now, ignoring the thousands of pictures online with the sun in the frame, there may be a point. The lens will concentrate the sun light into a small space on the sensor. Without a shutter, you may accidentally leave the sensor in direct concentrated sunlight for an extended period of time. I'm going to wager that the sensor isn't really designed to handle that.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Good points about dust and exposure to the sun. The main reason for asking the question is, is that I am diving into the world of strobes and it would be great to be able to sync at lets say 1/2000. Right now Im limited to 1/250 on my 40D (without jerry rigging something together).

Instead of getting rid of the shutter completely what about a different design, then whats currently being used on slr's or any camera currently in production. Something new and exciting. []

thanks

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Bookhammer

Instead of getting rid of the shutter completely what about a different design, then whats currently being used on slr's or any camera currently in production. Something new and exciting. [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

thanks

Joel
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

As to what's being developed right now, I do not know. However, there are a couple of tricks you can do with 1 580EX(II):

1) Rear-curtain sync: Use optical triggering. You can have the optical sensors at the point of the off-camera flashes as long as youron-camera580EX's light hits the optical sensor. However, this can prove less effective in bright sun. An even better trick is to attach a radio transmitter to an optical slave (like putting a Cybersync CST to a CTR-301p) and then attaching that rig to your on-camera 580EX. Voila, rear-curtain sync with off-camera flashes.

2) High-speed sync: Same setup as above but set your 580EX to high-speed sync. Set the off-camera flashes to full-power (this helps ensure the best flash coverage). The optical triggering allows you to push past your max sync speed. Keep in mind that the off-camera flashes' output diminishes quickly as the shutter speed goes up. I tested this particular trick after learning about it a couple of weeks ago. I was able to get somewhere around 1/600 sec without the shutter blocking the sensor (although I did decide anything past that diminished the flash's outputso much that it would renderthe flashalmost useless).