Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: black and white in camera? / program mode

Re: black and white in camera? / program mode

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

My buddy has the first 5D and I'm almost certain his has monochrome and filters. Maybe it was a firmware update.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Nope, Ive got the latest firmware on my 5D and no filters like the 40D. Even custom white balance has no effect as far as I can tell.

So, what other models have this feature?

3) 50D - I'm sure

4) 5D MkII -I'm sure

Next? Any of the XXXD bodies have the B&amp;W filter?

Well I did say "almost certain." I remember his mirror fell out and he sent it in and Canon updated his firmware and he was blown away that he now had ISO L (50). I couldn't believe he didn't know how to update his own firmware. I thought he also found he had filters in monochrome. He must have just been marveling at the feature in my 40D. It sucks getting old.

I remember his mirror fell out and he sent it in and Canon updated his firmware and he was blown away that he now had ISO L (50).

I hope he's not using it. ISO 50 is just ISO 100 with 1 additional stop of blown highlights.

Leave it to Mr. Browning to keep pointing at the man behind the curtain [:P]. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

It sucks getting old

I resemble that remark.........[]

Oh, and thanks Daniel for reminded us how great it is to have ISO 50 on our 5Ds.......[] You know it does work when you don't havea 1 stop neutral density filter with you. It is good for some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee
    Oh, and thanks Daniel for reminded us how great it is to have ISO 50 on our 5Ds.......[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img] You know it does work when you don't havea 1 stop neutral density filter with you. It is good for some things.

Actually, ISO 50 does not help at all. The camera says "ISO 50", but behind the scenes Canon actually set "ISO 100 and hidden +1 EC". You would get the exact same exposure and raw file if you set ISO 100 and +1 EC yourself, the only difference is that it's not hidden, and what you're doing is obvious. The real effect of the ISO 50 setting is hidden and not obvious.

Of course, everyone knows that adding +1 EC is going to blow one stop of highlights (compared to 0 EC). Fewer people are aware that ISO 50 does the exact same thing, because it doesn't make sense for Canon to do things behind your back like that. But unfortunately they do.

I can only think of one good reason to use ISO 50 for raw: if you already have ISO 100 +2 EC and you actually want ISO 100 +3 EC. (Personally I've never found myself in that circumstance.)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I remember his mirror fell out and he sent it in and Canon updated his firmware and he was blown away that he now had ISO L (50).

I hope he's not using it. ISO 50 is just ISO 100 with 1 additional stop of blown highlights.

He actually does use it. I remember him giving me images for the magazine and looking at the EXIF and seeing it say ISO 50.

I actually used it testing some lighting the other day, just because I was too lazy to change the 3 flash set up down a stop each. I think that was the first time I had used it. I knew it was just software pulling(?), but it was good to let me know that whatever my settings were I just had to bump them down a stop when it counted.