Thread: thoughts on upgrade to 40D from Rebel XT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: thoughts on upgrade to 40D from Rebel XT

I used to have an XT and now have the 40D. I would say the most significant features are:

1. Larger viewfinder. ISO in viewfinder.

2. Faster frame rate, feels more responsive. For my work I find i usually have the camera set to 3fps - the shorter blackout time is nice.

3. Better autofocus. I could not use the outside sensors on the XT in low light, now I can.

4. Rear screen is nicer, RGB histogram ensures no clipped channels.

5. Custom settings on mode dial. I underestimated these - I love being able to snap the camera into a know state. No more wondering if the ISO was set back, etc. I have one for manual/flash, one for wide open aperture; medium ISO; high frame rate and another for mirror lockup.

6. Live view - great if you do macro on a tripod, otherwise not a big deal.

Bottom line is that the image quality difference isn't significant, but there are lots of features that help make the difference of getting the shot. Be prepared for a larger camera, though. Whether to upgrade body or lens is really based on what you aren't happy with in your photos. If you have purple fringing, can't keep up with focusing, or soft shots the lens is the way to go. The body will get you speed and ease of use - that can help get shots too.

Re: thoughts on upgrade to 40D from Rebel XT

thanks for the great information!

Larger viewfinder and ISO in viewfinder is major plus for me. As is the larger LCD so I can review my shots and make sure they are sharp and in focus.

I'm not too familiar with the frame rates. What do you mean by shorter blackout time?

Also can you describe what "Live View" is

so there isn't much a difference in IQ? I guess the difference in MP isn't much. How about noise for lower ISO's? I find myself having to lower my ISO to 400 and 800 often in low light situations.