Thread: DSLR virgin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: DSLR virgin

Maybe even look out for a used 40-50D with a better than kit lens?

So many options when starting out. But if on a budget might be able to pick up a great used one from your local camera shop.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsecretary
    Maybe even look out for a used 40-50D with a better than kit lens?

IMHO I don't think you'll beat $700 used. The second listing looks like a good bang for the buck.

Lastly, a very good value can be found here.It's a couple hundred more but well, well, worth it. It comes with a one year warranty. Act fast. It won't be around long.

40D + 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM My wife has this "kit" lens and it is very good, even on my 5D FF body. It's the only reasonI don'town the 24-105 f4 L IS.

Indecision is a powerful foe. I find that when making purchases like these it is best to go with the more expensive choice. You will never look back saying "if only I'd"

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Indecision is a powerful foe. I find that when making purchases like these it is best to go with the more expensive choice. You will never look back saying "if only I'd"

Good Luck
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The truth right there... only time I don't do that is with Computer Hardware As it's typically way too expensive and replaced a month after!

But that was my main reason for purchasing the 70-200 2.8 IS over say the 4 Non-IS... I knew I'd want the 2.8 IS eventually so why waste the $$ and frustration of selling it later. But now I'm saving for my 5D II ... I'm getting sick of this 1.6 body with all these EF Lens I want! Stop cropping my pictures [6]

Quote Originally Posted by hotsecretary
    I'm getting sick of this 1.6 body with all these EF Lens I want!

Kenny,

Not to sound pragmatic but I love my 40D. I own a 5D but still use the 40D on almost every shoot. I used it at a wedding last Friday with a 50 1.4 attached because I don't have an 85 1.8 for the 5D yet. I love that combo for candids.I also love my 70-200 f2.8 on the 40. It has more reach and better IQ than if I used it on the 5 and cropped 1/1.6X. If I purchased a 5D MkII tommorrow, I would still keep both of my 40Ds and use them as needed/desired.

So slap me up side the head with a two by four and called me confused.....

If you want all those EF lenses then why spend $2700 on a 5D MkII. Buy the lenses. As many of us have said to you and others numerous times, "invest in glass and buy camera bodies" What do you think the price will be on a 5D MkII next year this time? Higher or Lower? What price do you think a 16-35 f2.8L will be this time next year? Higher or Lower? There are new bodies getting ready to be announced Sept 1st. Could be a 7D FF for $2100. we don't know, but those options are coming around aboutonce a year. What do you think that'll do to the price of the 5D MkII over the next year? I'm asking for you to ask youself. Please people, don't quote and respond.

The OP wanted to know what we thought about the three choices they had made for a starter set. I picked two followed by a suggested 40D combo. My last statement which you agreed with andquoted was a friendly nudge toward purchasing the 3rd choice or, if available, entertaining the 40D kit for aprox. the same price. I appreciate your affirmative response to my statement but I wonder how high the OP's level of indecisiveness is after reading your entire post. Do you believe that it helped the OP make a decision? I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck here. Just making an observation.

Kenny, I really like your enthusiasm and zeal. I still can't for the life of me figure out your username....[]

Oh I agree I'll still love my 40D and it'll remain as my backup, but I do like the advantages FF has

I'm going to grab another lens before I buy the body for sure. If not the trinity for 2.8... but I do have the urge to go FF no matter.

And it comes down to budget, the OP will not be in the FF market for a long time [6] And the link you posted is a great little deal, I had my little brother asking me the same about my camera and wanting something smaller/cheaper like the Rebel series. And I highly recommended them since he wanted something in the lighter DSLR over P&amp;S which he has already.

You're correct, I'm off subject!! Sorry for that!