Thread: The Beast (EF400 f/2.8 L IS USM)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Beast (EF400 f/2.8 L IS USM)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog
    I own 4 Canon bodies (XT, XTi, 1D MK II, 5D MKII) and use 3 additional
    Canon cameras (XT, XSi, 1Ds MKIII) at work. I feel like Ihave pretty
    broad experience with the different bodies. I sure have a feel for
    what each onedoes well...the 5D MKII is the best sports camera.

Neat!

Has any of you had any experience with the non-IS version of this lens (ie. 400mm/2.8L) ?Is it on par with the IS version or inferior ? Is it worth a buy (second hand, good condition) ? Thanks.

Przemek

Great picture.. and good to hear you don't complain too much about the AF as some people do.

I'm looking at picking up a 5DII in the near future to make the jump to FF over my 40D Cropped. And then pickup some more Lens

Quote Originally Posted by hotsecretary

Great picture.. and good to hear you don't complain too much about the AF as some people do.

I'm looking at picking up a 5DII in the near future to make the jump to FF over my 40D Cropped. And then pickup some more Lens
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

People smarter than me said the following...
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]Autofocus
    One of the differences between the two cameras is the autofocus performance. The 1Ds is running an autofocus system that seems more sophisticated and certainly more complex with its 45-point TTL, 19 cross-type points, and 26 assist points than the newer 5D Mark II&rsquo;s 9-point system. However, autofocus is a fairly challenging and ambiguous feature to evaluate. Autofocus so depends on pattern, type and look of the subject, shooting conditions, as well as simple preferences of the photographer, so it&rsquo;s hard to objectively compare the performance of two such highly evolved and effective systems. If you had a system that was clearly just bad, and one that was workable, you could make a clear determination. In our testing of the autofocus systems we are hard-pressed to point to a clear winner, in spite of the very strong opinions being posted on various online sources. Our best determination is that, of the two systems, the 5D Mark II may be, by virtue of its overall higher level of development and its simplicity, more effective for more applications, but it really depends on the user to make that determination.

I just know what works for me in the real world where I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

I just know what works for me in the real world where I shoot.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That's good to know! But I'm still patiently waiting to see if anything "better" is announced as I plan to get it for myself for an X-mas gift