Thread: Tamron 28-75mm---any comments?

Tamron 28-75mm---any comments?

I am thinking about getting something in a 24-70mm range, but the Canon L lens is a bit pricy right now, I would prefer to wait or look for alternative if there is one...

However, I only own Canon lenses and do not have any experience with third party lenses. Anyone has an opinion about and experience with this one (28-75mm)?

Re: Tamron 28-75mm---any comments?

Have you checked out the review?

I used to own this lens and enjoyed it while I had it. It's very sharp. I will caution you however, 24mm on a 1.6X sensor such as your 40D is already not very wide so 28mm will be even less so. If you don't mind missing the wide end then it could be a good lens for you. It also weighs about half as much as its Canon counterpart.

Chuck Lee should chime in because he has a lot more experience with this lens than I do. I think he'll probably give you the thumbs up though

Skip Tamron and go with Tokina.

Their discontinued but produce fine images and are built better than L glass. You can get good prices on the used market. Below are suggestions:

Tokina AT- X 287 ProSV. 28-70 2.8 (I have and love this lens)

Tokina AT-X 280 AF Pro. 28-80 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

I will caution you however, 24mm on a 1.6X sensor such as your 40D is already not very wide so 28mm will be even less so. If you don't mind missing the wide end then it could be a good lens for you. It also weighs about half as much as its Canon counterpart.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This would probably not bother me as much, I have 10-22mm from Canon, so my wide angle is covered, I am missing that gap between 22 and 70 mm, which I conveniently fill with my 50mm f/1.4, but at times I would like the flexibility of a zoom.

I would not mind saving up for Canon L lens if this is THE one to get. I have heard the Tamron is very good though...but not knowing much, I surrender myself again to your opinions, I have always got great advice from you guys[Y]

I'm personally waiting to see what Canon announces next week.

I'm patiently / dreaming for a 24-70 2.8L or 2L with IS Hey I can dream!

If you have the 50mm and the 10-22mm, what about the 17-55 2.8 IS? My wonder is, did you just buy the body? The kit lens is 17-85.

As far as 24-70mm range goes, the Tamron and Tokinas are very good pieces of glass.

I pesonally like lenses with quiet focusing systems, which neither of the above has.

If I was shopping for a lens in this range and didn't have $1400 to spendI would consider:

1) A used/refurbrished Canon 24-70 2.8 L

2) Sigma 24-70 2.8 IF EX DG HSM whichgoes for about$900 brand new. This lens just came out recently and already produced lots of positive feedback from pros and amateurs. It is also considerablylighter than the Canon equivalent. Look it up on B&amp;H website and also check the customer reviews. Don't confuse it with the olderSigma 24-70 2.8 which wasreviewed on Bryan's Website.

Good luck.

Tamron 28-75 on an XT, ~60% crop. This lens can also be used on a FF if you upgrade later. This lens is a good choice. Another good choice is the 17-50 but you may miss the 50 to 75 range.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0020b.jpg[/img]

Mark
    Mark

BES,

If you cannot afford an L buy the Tamron. The AF is not as accurate as a USM lens. It's the mechanics of the body to lens AF link. If you require exceptional AF accuracy with the lens wide open (f2.8) and rely on this for income then you may want to reconsider. Otherwise, the IQ is exceptional. I could not afford the 24-70 f2.8L but even though I do have the Tamron I recently (last 6 months) purchased a used "28"-70 f2.8L to complete the 17 - 200mm f2.8L "triad" for my 5D FF. I really like the big L with it's red stripe and silent accurate AF. It's shall we say "fabulous". But, I still really liketo use my Tammy 28-75 f2.8 Di on my 5D and 40D. It's light, it's accurate enough, and the IQ/bokeh is still IMHO in a league of it's own. For me, this Tamron will always be an "iconic" lens.

Mark E, was right...........[]

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    I am thinking about getting something in a 24-70mm range, but the Canon L lens is a bit pricy right now, I would prefer to wait or look for alternative if there is one...

How about the Canon EF 28-70/2.8L USM? I have one and it produces excellent photos with good sharpness and contrast.