Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 7D Real!

Re: 7D Real!

Great! Nikon D300s finally killed. Hands down.

Reading the specs and all I can say is wow.

They really put a lot of stuff inside a small body.

I can not wait until some real world testing is done to see how it stacks up.

I know where you are coming from on this, Sean. I also have two good EF-S lenses (the 17-55mm f/2.8 and the 10-22mm wide angle), but I did make the decision to go with the 5D Mark II.

I don't regret this at all - it's a wonderful camera, but I found myself continuing to use my old 40D in conjunction with the EF-S lenses as well as the 5D. Now I finally have an option to get a really good APS-C camera that looks like it is going to have speed and auto-focusing capabilities almost as good as those previously only seen in the 1D series.

So between these two cameras, it's hard to see me having any real future need for a 1D camera and I can make full use of all my existing lenses. This is very good for my budget and my photography.

Quote Originally Posted by cian3307

Are we going to see the demise of the 40D and 50D? I'll have to keep an eye on the 50D price and snap one up if it falls a few 100 euros.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The 7D is a great camera in terms of what we can do now with technology. It's something that makes people say "wow". I respect the technology that Canon has put into the camera.

But practically speaking though, the 7D is pretty much like a 50D made faster and added video. On paper the 7D is in every way a little bit better than the 50D in order to become a Nikon D300s killer; however, I doubt if any of these improvements over the 50D can actually make a photo look a lot nicer. In other words, I can hardly imagine that the 7D is going to make a huge leap forward from the 50D on some of the key performance measures such as AF speed &amp; accuracy, IQ, frame rate...

Would people think about the 7D like this though? - "Wow nice! Great job Canon! But I think I can do 95% of the things with my 50D." Or, it's like this - "Wow, great technology! But what if i can find a good 1D III used for just a few hundred dollars more? Or I can get a great condition 1D IIN right away, could I be more satisfied with these 1-series toys?"

Back to your question, I think the 40D and 50D will remain to be popular since they are not far away from the 7D and they're sold at very reasonable prices. (PS: I think at $1699 the 7D is a lot more of a deal than the D300s at $100 higher!) If I'm the buyer with a budget, I'll get the 50D instead and save the money for some better optics. My 50D combined with all my big L lenses will for sure outrun a 7D with that 15-85 []

Just my thoughts, + &amp; - comments all welcome.

Well put Benjamin, you pretty much said everything that I thought of [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

You know, the 5D Mark II always looked nice, but it simply wasn't the camera for me. I love my 50D, and now have 2 EF-S lenses I feel I can't give up. Then the 7D is announce...I really, really like the specs on this baby. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to sell my 50D to help finance the new purchase or else buy the 7D and use the 50D as a backup body (my XTi has been on loan to a friend since I got the 50D).

As I've strongly suggested to others, don't sell the 50D. If anything, sell the XTi. Backup body is so important in so many situations.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

The two things that are pulling me toward the 7D are video and on-board ETTL control. Those are very nifty features.

That said, I'm not overwhelmed by the ISO performance (although DPReview's sample shots rarely make a camera look like a fantastic performer). I think they're purshing the reasonable limits of the APS-C sized sensor. I'll have to wait for Bryan's conclusions on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

I can hardly imagine that the 7D is going to make a huge leap forward from the 50D on some of the key performance measures such as AF speed &amp; accuracy, IQ, frame rate...

Would people think about the 7D like this though? - "Wow nice! Great job Canon! But I think I can do 95% of the things with my 50D." Or, it's like this - "Wow, great technology! But what if i can find a good 1D III used for just a few hundred dollars more? Or I can get a great condition 1D IIN right away, could I be more satisfied with these 1-series toys?"

I agree. When you see these specs and start to drool, it isn't a bad idea to stop and think, "how much better will this make my pictures?" For me, I think the answer depends more on autofocus speed and accuracy than anything else. Will it be closer to the 50D or to the 1D? If the latter, the 1DIV will have to be something special to demand a large premium over this camera. 18mp at 8fps is pretty fast.

Download some sample photos

Samples
    Mark

is anyone going to buy it for me? please? I want one sooooo badly!! oh, a 50D would be just fine too hahaha

no, seriously, i totally love this camera...I think that I might even go for it, if I had the money...gosh...

and the other problem is that Amazon seems to have some problem with my country, they would only ship books and music to italy...haha oh well...