Thread: 300mm 2.8L question

300mm 2.8L question

never used(never touched) a rear drop-in filter lens like the 300mm 2.8L, the question is how to protect the front glass of the lens? or just have to leave it "naked" when taking pictures? anybody knows? please help.

Re: 300mm 2.8L question

well the lens hood is about 7 inches in length and it comes in a lovely case.

i've read that the front element of the 300 2.8 is sort of a protective glass element? and also in addition to whats already been mentioned, the hood is a pretty reliable piece of protection for the front element as long as nothing is flying straight at the lens head on

thank you guys for the quick replies. so basically the front element works as a protective filter plus the hood. well it still feels "naked' even it's the way it is.thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by flaminfury

i've read that the front element of the 300 2.8 is sort of a protective glass element? and also in addition to whats already been mentioned, the hood is a pretty reliable piece of protection for the front element as long as nothing is flying straight at the lens head on
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

ya its a $500 replaceable front element :P

at least its replaceable! haha if you own such an expensive lens, 500 is nothing anyways right? besides i wonder how large the diameter of the front of a 300 is anyways...maybe they could custom make a filter. but that might cost you well beyond 500!