Thread: Help need for flash use - thanks for any suggestions

Help need for flash use - thanks for any suggestions

Hi

I have recently upgraded to digital photography and bought a Canon 50D. Fantastic camera! However, I still have some old accessories such as a Startblitz 250BAZ which gave me wonderfully satisfying results with the Minolta X300, which I would love to continue using.

My question is - is it okay to use Starblitz 250BAZ with Canon 50?, only hotshoe application or with the sync cable?

Thank you all in anticipation of your advise

Regards

Re: Help need for flash use - thanks for any suggestions

According to this site: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

your flash trigger voltage is 6.8V so it seems like it will be ok to put it on your Canon (but read on!)... on the other hand, on the "EOS safe?" column in their table they put "Your Call" - so I guess they are right, it's your call.

If you ask for my personal opinion - I wouldn't mount it at all to my camera. Not on the hot-shoe and even not with a PC cable (even though the 50D PC terminal can handle up to 250V according to the manual).

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian21
    My question is - is it okay to use Starblitz 250BAZ with Canon 50?, only hotshoe application or with the sync cable?

I agree with Oren..... Niether. That's a $100 dollar flash with a GN of80ft and 7sec recycle time. Your pop up flash is only half that at [edit] 13m/42ft. For a $100-150 you can get another flash that's not only safe but also operates with Canon ETTL. Tokina shows this flash as a stock item but I cannot find anywhere to purchase it. You could contact them and inquire about it's safe use on EOS cameras.

Here's a great choice from Promaster. I have the Quantaray version and have commented on how much I like them several times on this forum.The Promaster is a little higher price but is the only one of this typecurrently available. Ritz(Quantaray distributor) has discontinued their line. I'd recommend this one as the best value I know of. I'm sure there are others that can chime in. GN=130ft and full recycle in 4-6. Twin flash head with removable compatability module. (This feature is really nice. If you break off a hot shoe ear you can buy a replacement module for $30-40.)

If youlike manual flash, then there are many options available. The best I can think of is the Vivitar 285HV. If used correctly (like in the film days) It's TTL thyristor works flawlessly. It's completely manual as far as the camera is concerned but it has it's own built in meter. Adorama has them for $89.00. I own four and use them as portable studio flashes.

Thank you very much both Oren and Chang. It was indeed very helpful. Just that it takes quite a bit of pain to do away with what has been working for so many years that I thought the Starblitz may work still and reduce my burden of learning a new system!

On a emotional note, I still feel that there should be some back compatibility albeit with some limitation.

Thanks to you all

A huge thanks for Chuk also.. while Chang replied to me on a different forum Chuk has given agood analytical advise here.

That also brings me to another question, which arises from Orens reply.. why "your call"? why cantthe manufacturers bedefinitive in terms of whether we shoulduse a third pary old flash (or any other accessory for that matter). If I ask straight to canon will they answer?

I also want to emphasize here is that - okay the starblitz 250baz (100$ types you know)may be old but for many of us who has kept their equipment in prime conditions and know the "historic' value it has or will have in times to come also requires risk protection.

"Your call" type of answers may also damage my flash which I adore than the so called "latest" camera which will die the moment an upgrade will be annouced.

Your comments will be of immense value to me.

Regards

Orens reply.. why "your call"? why cantthe manufacturers bedefinitive in terms of whether we shoulduse a third pary old flash (or any other accessory for that matter). If I ask straight to canon will they answer?

Do not ask Canon. They only offer support for their products. Tokina is offering the Starblitz 250. You will heve to inquire there. The link is in my previous post.

I also want to emphasize here is that - okay the starblitz 250baz (100$ types you know)may be old but for many of us who has kept their equipment in prime conditions and know the "historic' value it has or will have in times to come also requires risk protection.

I understand. I have used the Quantarray 9000 series flash since my Minolta film days. Nostalgia is great. Preserving history is great. Distroying the flash circuits in your new 50D... not so great.

"Your call" type of answers may also damage my flash which I adore than the so called "latest" camera which will die the moment an upgrade will be annouced.

No, the EOS 6V trigger standard has been around, at least, since Canon introduced the D30 (digital)in 2000. That standard should not change in the future.

Your Starblitz is borderline at 6.8V unlike others like Vivitars and Sunpacks and even OEM flashes that have trigger voltages of 200-500 Volts.

There are safe sync devices that you can put between the flash and the camera but they only work in manual mode. Here's One

Thanks Chuk.. this was really elaborate..

best