Thread: Auto focus comparison between 100 f/2 and 100 f2.8 macro

Auto focus comparison between 100 f/2 and 100 f2.8 macro

Does anyone know if the auto focus is much faster in the f/2 version of this lens? How does the focus speed compare to the 85 f1.8? I alreadyown the 100mm macro and am thinking about the possibility of some indoor sports and a couple weddings coming up. I know I get another stop with the f/2, but really wanted to know if it has a faster focus. I tried to see if Bryan made mention of it, but he only comments that both focus very quickly. Appreciate the assistance.

Jayson

Re: Auto focus comparison between 100 f/2 and 100 f2.8 macro

well I know from experience that the macro has one of the slowest AF sequences that I have ever used. I'd be shocked if the f/2 was slower.

I have the 100 f2 and my experience is that it is very fast. I only have the 24-105 and several Tamron lenses to compare it to. No experience with the 2.8. I shot this of my daughter at 8:00 in the evening with no flash on my XTi. It was at f2.5 @ 1/1000.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0011b.jpg[/img]

I have posted this image a few times so some may be tiered of seeing it.

Mark
    Mark

Focusing is only slow when you want to focus something from closeup to then something of like infinity! General focusing is very quick.

I find sometimes that when it can't find something to focus on, it goes back and forth like crazy! and i have to manually focus it, then let it autofocus.