Thread: First Legit Senior Shoot. Rookie Mistake

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: First Legit Senior Shoot. Rookie Mistake

Thanks for the comments! I probably will go back and change the white balance now that it's been brought to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Question: Do you have your camera set to Auto White Balance?

I do use auto white balance and then I change it in post. I got too excited to use the color selector in LR and adjusted each photo's WB independently. Not sure why it didn't cross my mind that using that method would produce inconsistencies. Thanks for the tip Sean. You're strobist help is invaluable!

Re: First Legit Senior Shoot. Rookie Mistake

Nice shots Roger. I guess we've all been there, that panic moment when you realize you're missing a crucial piece of gear...ugh! I feel for you - after all that prep and practice...

on the WB thing - you can't ever go wrong having your model hold a white/gray card for one shot, then using that in PP. Take a new shot when the lighting conditions change. Or using that white/gray shot as your custom WB in-camera. Either way takes the guessing out of the equation. And of course you're still free to choose a different WB when you want to (assuming you're shooting RAW of course). (ps - I'm no pro - first-year photog - just passing on what I've learned)

my 2 cents on the B+W image - I'd lose the vignette, or lower its opacity to just barely perceptible. For me the obvious vignetting makes the image too old-timey, which doesn't fit with the model's dress and appearance.

I'm also wondering how a tight crop would look - the horse's head/neck and the model's head n shoulders. There's such personality in both their expressions, but they're a little far away to really see them. But maybe a crop like that would look weird with no context.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your pix, and congratulations on getting the job done - with the gear on hand!