Thread: Taking my photo on a whale watch expedition

Taking my photo on a whale watch expedition

I am heading out on a whale watch expedition today. Iam going to take several good shots (I Hope!), but i am concerned about exposing my gear to the salt air. The trip is +/- 3 hours.

Do any of you have tips for cleaning the gear after this shoot.

Ihave a 50D, 70-200 2.8 IS, 300 F4L, and a 17-55 F2.8

I am concerned about the possible bad effects on my equipment.

Am i right to be concerned?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Re: Taking my photo on a whale watch expedition

I take my gear out all the time in a small boat where it is exposed to salty sea air and the occasional splash of seawater. I've had no problems. (400D which has less sealing than your 50D). I'd imagine you will be out in a bigger boat, less exposed than my little 16 footer. I would still recommend wiping all of your equipment down with a slightly damp cloth afterwards.

I went whale watching once and would imagine your 70-200 will be of most use. As you have the weather sealed IS model, you have one less worry!

I would definitely recommend having a fully waterproof camera bag and some plastic bags handy if the weather turns bad out at sea. Does the boat you're taking have a cabin in case it gets bad?

Thanks for your response and recommendation Cian 3307,

The boat is significantly bigger, probably a 50 footer. There is a top deck and a closed section on the main deck so i should be safe from a "bad weather" perspective. I like the idea of bringing along a few plastic bags just to be on the safe side.

My camera bag goes into a pack sac so i am getting double protection (i guess?)

I will do a complete wipe down after the shoot.

Thanks for your help.

I had the same concern about my trip to Scotland that's coming up. I found some cheap disposable camera bags at B&H. I don't have a link handy but if you look up rain protection on their site I think they have a pack of 2 "bags" for your camera for under 20 bucks I think. That would probably be enough to give you decent coverage for a few hours on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carman

I am heading out on a whale watch expedition today. Iam going to take several good shots (I Hope!), but i am concerned about exposing my gear to the salt air. The trip is +/- 3 hours.

Do any of you have tips for cleaning the gear after this shoot.

Ihave a 50D, 70-200 2.8 IS, 300 F4L, and a 17-55 F2.8

I am concerned about the possible bad effects on my equipment.

Am i right to be concerned?

Thanks for your help.

Tom
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I shoot in the salty environs almost every week. Here's what I do for a cleaning:

1) Using a soft brush, brush off all sand, loose grime and the like from the elements, lens body, camera body and lens mount.

2) Use a microfibre towell to clean the front element of sea spray. Work from the center out in a circular motion. Use a Q Tip inside the towell to clean the rear element if needed.

3) Use a lens tissue for final cleaning of the elements.

4) Open up battery compartment and remove batteries, clear out any sand grime from compartment and batteries.

5) Take a test shot of your computer screen with an all white window open. Choose f22. Zoom in and focus. Take shot. Bring into photoshop and choose auto levels. This will show you if you have dust on your sensor.

6) No dust: cap camera and lenses.

7) If dust: blow gently with a blower, repeat step 5 till dust is gone. If stubborn, use a sensor cleaning kit.

The 70-200 IS will not completely seal against the 50D as the 50D lacks the body gasket on the 1D series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carman

I am heading out on a whale watch expedition today.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Post photos for those of us who are jelous.

Mark
    Mark