Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by Maleko

The ultimate camera for weddings has to be the 5D, with maybe an xxD as a backup.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

As Derek Reese said, it's the camera that the photographer can use to make the best images.

If you think it's the 5D, don't ever pick up a 1-series body. The manufacturing quality in those bodies is almost fanatical, the menu options for customization, and the sound of the mirror mechanism in motion is just wow. Plus, I believe the 1-series has better electronics on the output side of the sensor (Daniel Browning mentioned that the amplifiers are analog, not digital), which helps the higher ISOs. The 1Ds3 is quite comparable (and scores a bit higher) than the 5D2 on DxOmark, even with an older sensor and Digic processors.

Specific models aside and having rented bodies to cover backup/second camera needs, I (personally) think there's a significant value in having a comparable backup body, and I don't see a crop body as a safe backup for a full-frame model. There'd need to be one more lens kept in the bag to fully accommodate the shift to the backup body, and that makes for an expensive safety net.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Can totally see your point, A 1D yes would be completly fanatical but personally I wouldnt want to carry round a camera that big and heavyall day. Yes some people might say they would, but each to their own. I find my 50D, Grip, Flash &amp; lens giving me neck ache by the evening! lol
Of course you will also have to put into account the actual cost of a 1D!
Alternativey you could have a 1D as a second body for use in low light.

I do alsototally agree about having a comparable body as a backup. The way I see it is if you already own a xxD body, then get a 5D, you would keep hold of them both, using the xxD as a backup, then maybe until the day you can buy another full frame body as a backup then so be it. I have used full frame bodies before now and you can easily hate acrop body after using full frame!

It's always nice to dream and want certain bodies, lens etc, but you also have to be practical IMO. Wedding photography is also about being practical, as you know you can be on you feet for over 8 hours sometimes!