Thread: The new tool Lens Specifications and Measurements

The new tool Lens Specifications and Measurements

Hi Bryan,

At last someone 'rebuilds' the good old 'EF Lenses Home' from the Canon site, long ago replaced with the visually more attractive but with dumbed down information lens pages we have now.

Thanks a million for this feature.

If available, it would be nice to include the parfocality of the lenses (Parfocal Yes/No )

Of some older lenses that information can be easily found (http://www.rogercavanagh.com/helpinfo/30_parfocal.stm), but no news of newer lenses...

...just suggestions, *my* €0.02 worth...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Re: The new tool Lens Specifications and Measurements

Hi Max,

I'm glad you like the new tool! I'm looking for ways to improve it/make it more useful and welcome the ideas and suggestions.

Parfocal is a field currently populated in my database - it just needs presented on the page. But, I'm too unsure about the data I have right now. My confidence level is not high enough to present this info publicly yet.

What would help is if everyone would test the lenses they have. With a tripod-mounted camera, focus the longest focal length using 10x Live view and then zoom to wide. If the image stays sharp until the wide end, the lens is parfocal.

Let me know your results. Once my confidence level is high enough, I'lldisplay the results.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Carnathan
    What would help is if everyone would test the lenses they have. With a tripod-mounted camera, focus the longest focal length using 10x Live view and then zoom to wide. If the image stays sharp until the wide end, the lens is parfocal.

I'll test my copy of the 70-200 f/4 IS.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but on the 400 f/5.6 specifications it says "Aperture Range - Wide / Long f/1.4-32"... f/1.4??

Oren - LOL - Maybe I was dreaming. Thanks for the notice - I corrected the error.