Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best camera choise considering image quality only

Re: best camera choise considering image quality only

I own 5D Mk II and some L lenses, recentlly just bought 1D Mk III for all kind action shots. As I know currentlly lots discount in new 1D Mk III, because of new version may release soon this year or next year, therefore I think its good time to get one. I am not Pro therefore I don't need super new version 1D Mk 4, and no point for me to spend lots money for new 1D Mk 4 body~

I used to own 500D which I found image/high ISO quality similar to 50D (from all kind of reviews etc...). And before I decide to buy 1D Mk III I actually compare lots reviews between 1D, 1Ds, 5D, 50D, 500D and 7D for image.high ISO quality, then I found high ISO quality in 1D Mk III should be better than 7D, 50D and 500D. But for image details (large print especially) 7D will be the best, and the question will be do you need it?

I shot slow moving objects by using 5D Mk II and for fast moving object 5D Mk II just too slow. For me 1D Mk III all about SPEED ! which I love it :P and ya you can use it in any kind of weather !!

So for any event I will carry both cameras, 5D Mk II attached 16-35mm L f2.8 USM II and 1D Mk III attached with 70-200mm L f2.8 IS USM etc....

My 2c~

It sounds to me that money is not an object, if I were you I'd get the whole three bodies. [] Is there that much money in wildlife photography. he he I've got the 50D with a small piece of L glass on it and the image quality is razor sharp.

If money was no object, I'd be torn between the 1Ds III and the 5D II. In reality, if money was no object, I'd pick up 1-2 1Ds3 bodies now, and pick up 1-3 1Ds4 bodies when they came out. As I always say, if you haven't _____, don't try it. In this case, it's "shot with a 1-series body", but it's also been "ridden a carbon-fiber bicycle", "shot with the 85/1.2L lens", "shot with the 200/2LIS lens", etc.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

If you want to consider the sensor quality only to decide which camera to buy,(apart from the lens), look at the DxoMark website. You can get an in depth comparison of the sensors in all the common digital bodies. It's very enlightening information.

Joel Eade

Quote Originally Posted by Fink_Studios

I guess people really are that stupid as I have posted in previous threads if you don't know please shut you mouth now and listen

The highest quality pictures as of now come from the 1Ds series no one can agrue this " I REPEAT" can argue with this

The highest quailty camer as of now if I am correct woud be an 8X10 film camera
    But as far as digital goes phase one's P60+
    Holds the title
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Just go away. There's a valid argument in considering cameras that are newer than the 1-series, as they have newer sensor technology and newer processing technology. Considering the 5D Mark II scored very close to the 1Ds Mark III on DxOmark, that's just one sample of the argument being open.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I know you were trying to dis me but well that kind of back fired peet3 I like fight in you but you'll never win

As you stated above the 5d mark II came close in the dxo test but yet it was not as good the 1Ds series will always have a slight edge other wise the would have discontinued the line
    Since they debut the 1D series it has been on top thank for kinda taking my side

Keep trying you never win oh and this is not a game I am just telling it like it is

Good luck and happy shooting

Thanks for your answers.

I still have my doubts for 7D, and i am sure that is not a much better camera than the 50D. The 1D Mark 3 must be quite better than 7D. As for the glass, the next lens i am going to buy, is the 500 f/4 L IS USM, which can't afford at the moment. So, for now, i can only improve my camera body.

5D 2 looks to be a great camera, but using it with my 400 f/5,6 L USM the focal lenght will not be enough. i will have to get closer to my subject, so my fotos will be less in number, but better in quality and i will be able to shoot in low light also.

Now, the new1D 4 looks very good, it has the 1,3 x factor which is an advantage for me, hopefully it will be even better in ISO performancethan the 1d3, (i wish image quality will be as good as the 5D2, as well as the ISO performance) and it's 16Mp, which is just perfect for me (10Mp of 1D3 was not enough for this price). also, it can shoot at 10fps, and it has e very good AF system (i wish with no problems this time).

Please tell me your opinions about the 1D4, about price, quality and performance, compared with 5D2, or even 7D and 1D3.

If i had no problem with money, i was going to buy the 1D4 (for wildlife and bird photography), the 5D2 (for landscape, portraitand macro photography) and Canon's 500 f/4 L IS USM. Unfortunately, at some point, maybee at Christmas time, i will sell my 50D and buy a 5D2 or a 1D4..probably, the second..

Quote Originally Posted by George Spiridakis
    I still have my doubts for 7D, and i am sure that is not a much better camera than the 50D.

You are mistaken. It is much better.

The 1D Mark 3 must be quite better than 7D.

In some ways it's better, but in other ways it is worse.

Please tell me your opinions about the 1D4, about price, quality and performance, compared with 5D2, or even 7D and 1D3.

All we have to go on right now are paper specifications and a few pre-production jpeg files. We wont know more until it ships, which is not expected for at least one more month. I looked at raw files from preproduction 7D units, and the production units turned out differently.

The 7D is almost purpose-made for telephoto work. In focal-length limited situations it has superior resolution to the 1D4. If you are at all limited by finances, and you are, it's the obvious choice over the 1D4.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I still have my doubts for 7D, and i am sure that is not a much better camera than the 50D.

You are mistaken. It is much better.

So, is it time for me to consider selling my 40D kit with the 28-135? I am being serious. I have really wanted the AF microadjust since it came out, and I mainly am interested in telephoto work, with a little bit of interior/exterior architecture shooting, so I want to stay with the 1.6x for now. I have a 17-40 f/4 and am looking to get a 300 f/4 and 1.4x TC. I think I want that over the 400 f5.6 for the IS and versatility, unless you think that is a poor decision and convince me otherwise. I will eventually sell my 17-40 and get the EF-S 17-55 2.8 for obvious reasons.

I am slightly concerned about the "image retention" issue that is seen in high-speed mode, according to the News section here on this site, and I hope it is something that can be addressed by a firmware update.

The 1D Mark 3 must be quite better than 7D.

In some ways it's better, but in other ways it is worse.

For my own edification, please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
    So, is it time for me to consider selling my 40D kit with the 28-135?

The 7D would be significant upgrade, especially for telephoto, autofocus, or high ISO shots.

I have a 17-40 f/4 and am looking to get a 300 f/4 and 1.4x TC. I think I want that over the 400 f5.6 for the IS and versatility, unless you think that is a poor decision and convince me otherwise.

Either would be a great choice. Consider also the 100-400 if the cost and weight aren't an issue.

100-400 at 400mm f/5.6 is not quite as sharp as the 300mm f/4+1.4x, but it's close.

The autofocus is slower, though. And the 300mm has better bokeh especially without the 1.4x. Not to mention a full stop faster when 300mm is all you need.

All things considered, I prefer the flexibility of the 100-400.

I am slightly concerned about the "image retention" issue that is seen in high-speed mode, according to the News section here on this site, and I hope it is something that can be addressed by a firmware update.

Yes. There are two other issues that plague the 7D as well. All units have fixed pattern noise at ISO 400 and lower that shows up when you use over 9 stops of dynamic range, similar to the 5D2. Most people don't use more than 9 stops, though, so it may not affect you. Some copies of the 7D have an issue with gain and/or offset imbalance of the green channels which causes mazing artifacts at all brightness and ISO settings. If you get hit by that one you can just return it.

In some ways the 1D3 is better than the 7D, but in other ways it is worse.

Here's an elaboration.

First there's the obvious resolution advantage of the 7D. When you are limited by focal length (i.e. "lens-limited", you can't get closer and you don't have a longer lens), the 7D gives you 18 MP compared to just 6 MP on the 1D3.

Second, the high ISO performance of the 7D is superior, especially when lens-limited. It has 40% lower read noise per area after scaling both to the same spatial frequency. But more importantly, it has far less pattern noise at ISO 800 and above. (Below 800 the 1D3 is superior).

Then there are a lot of other misc. features like the hi-res LCD, movie capability, etc. that were added in the newer body, but the 1D3 still retains some nice advantages, like a larger sensor, better weather sealing (though the 7D is better than the 50D), better autofocus (though YMMV), ergonomics, etc.