Page 58 of 148 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    Seems overpriced given that (1) it's an eBay auction (2) purchase date was in March, basically wiping out the warranty period; and (3) shipping is an additional $125.

1. A new lens costs $4,599 at B&H. That's a $649 or 14% "discount" for being used. Including shipping, it's $523 or 11%.

2. Canon L lenses hold their value quite well. For example, some time ago, I was considering getting a 24-70mm f/2.8L. (I got the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, instead.) I found that the selling price of used lenses on eBay was only 10-15% less than the current retail price. I just did a search on eBay and the last 9 copies of the 24-70 lens that sold averaged $1100 plus shipping. (The range was $1000-1170. There was another at $1000, but it was damaged.) The lens is $1380 now, so that's a 20% discount. (There was a recent price increase.) I also found that the discount was greater (i.e., selling price was relatively lower) on more common lenses, probably due to competition. (There were quite a few 24-70mm lenses starting at around $1200 that got no bids.)

3. Most used gear is far outside the warranty period. This at least would have another 4-5 months.

4. The shipping is high, in part, because the seller is in Puerto Rico. I went to the UPS site and did a quick check on shipping a 16 lb package 15 x 12 x 18 (the lens would probably end up in a box bigger than that) from my locatio to San Juan, PR. Second day air was $126.54, "ground" was $113.57. The eBay price is $125.98, so it's roughly the same.

A potential bidder would have to decide whether saving $523 is worth losing 8 months of warranty at $65/month.
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

Joel,

Wow.... I mean... Wow... That is high quality right there.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    honestly I don't think my photos are worthy of making money yet

I would also like to kindly disagree!!! [] I'm not right into the bird photography side of things but your photos blow me away every time you come out with a new one Nate. They are simply spectacular and you would have no worries selling them if the right opportunity arose - and I'm sure it will. [Y]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    I purchased mine from B&H and used Bill Me Later to make monthly payments with no interest....If I remember, the price was $4100...took me 6 months to pay it off...I'm glad I did it though, I've really enjoyed it so far. Certainly seems like the one Ebay is overpriced to me.

If a new lens was still $4100, you'd be very right, but the price has gone up to $4600--and may go up again. Do some searches on various L lenses that have sold on eBay (not those currently listed). They typically run 80-90% of the retail price unless there's something wrong. One seller (a pawn shop, who should know better) listed a lens without either cap. That lens sold for $180 less than any other had in several weeks. Because he was too cheap to spend $5 on lens caps (easy to find), he lost big. One of these days, I'll do an "article" for this forum on "eBay idiocy," both by sellers who price their items too high and buyers who pay too much, in some cases more for a used item than the cost of a new one.
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

What lens did you use?

I am too risk averse to buy used lenses through eBay. Something that is > $4000 retail, no way to inspect it beforehand, minimal accountability due to online nature of the transaction...it is not worth the potential hazards, in order to save 10-15%. Craigslist is at least better in that you can inspect the goods.

One could purchase a recertified lens for not that much difference. Waiting for the right deal to come along can also make an impact on sale price. There are a huge number of scammers on eBay and CL.

FYI... KEH has several 300 f2.8Ls for less than $3000.00. Every lens I've purchased from them has been in outstanding condition. They have a very good return and customer satisfaction policy.

I just wish I had $4600.00 because they have a 200 f1.8 L. What aportrait lens!

They now have two copies of the 50 f1.0L. That's right, f1.0.

LBA, LBA, LBA......aarrrrrrrgggg..[]

I'd be posting more shots comparing to Nate'sif my camera wasn'tbroken.I only had less than a month of experience with my 600mm before my camera broke and my shots really impress me thus far. I have had nolong lens experience beforeI got my 600mm.There is a lot of wildlife whereI life and I am realy kicking my self for not having a camera.

Hey Fast Glass, sorry to hear about your camera, what happened? Hope you'll get it fixed or have a new camera soon.

Turkey vulture and a dead apossum

40D & 500 f/4L IS, f/5.6, 1/1000, IS0 200

that's way cool!!!