Thread: 40D Failed Shutter

40D Failed Shutter

Was shooting a high school pep rally two days ago, went down to check photos, and realized there was a large overexposed streak on nearly (480/500) every photo. Relatively new (<1yr) 40D with a shutter count of less than 40,000. Stays regardless of shutter speed and lens/camera settings. I'm guessing a failed shutter, but confirmation and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Grant

10-22mm @ 22mm, f/4.5, 1/150, ISO 1600

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.23/shutter.JPG[/img]

Re: 40D Failed Shutter

So sorry to hear this, doesn't matter how new it is, shutter can break anytime. Mine broke at about 25k, Canon fixed it for free even though it was 3 months pass the warranty period. Send yours to them, good luck

Re: 40D Failed Shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Tobin

Was shooting a high school pep rally two days ago, went down to check photos, and realized there was a large overexposed streak on nearly (480/500) every photo. Relatively new (<1yr) 40D with a shutter count of less than 40,000. Stays regardless of shutter speed and lens/camera settings. I'm guessing a failed shutter, but confirmation and suggestions would be appreciated.

Doesn't look to me like failed shutter. Regardless, as long as it's consistent across several lenses, send it to Canon. No sense trying to play diagnostician yourself.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.