Thread: Lens Upgrades

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Lenses and Body Upgrades

Get a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 with a set of Kenko ext tubes. Upgrade to a couple peices of goodglass before you get a new body.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.86/_5F00_MG_5F00_7950.TIF-reduced.JPG[/img]

This shot would be impossible if it weren't for good glass....[]

Taken with a Rebel XTI and a Minolta 600mm f/6.3, I was leaning out of my window and shot in burst and kept the sharpest one. It happed to be the best one too.

Has anyone here used he 50mm F/1.8? It sounds interesting mostly because of the price. I don't hardly have money to spend and on top of that I really don't worry left right and up the middle about the sharpness and all that of a lens. Sure I would love L glass but as an amateur it is not the most important. Just would like any thoughts from people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming

Has anyone here used he 50mm F/1.8? It sounds interesting mostly because of the price. I don't hardly have money to spend and on top of that I really don't worry left right and up the middle about the sharpness and all that of a lens. Sure I would love L glass but as an amateur it is not the most important. Just would like any thoughts from people out there.

I've got both the 85/1.8, which seems to be the best Canon lens in the EUR 400,- price range regarding any quality measure you throw at it, and the 50/1.8 II. In my experience the 50 comes pretty close to the 85 in optical quality — when it's in a good mood, which means that the AF is having a good day; or when I use manual focus… If 50mm is a focal length that is useful to you, go for it, it's surely good enough to give you an introduction into working with a good prime.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

I borrowed the 85mm a few months ago from a friend and was thoroughly impressed with it. Therefore if you think that the 50mm f/1.8 is similar I will start to save up those pennies. I don't have a supper great lens right now as far as optics and I found working with the prime I composed pictures that were of much more interest since I was limited by my focal length.

Also btaylor love all the work you put into those HDRs. They are really cool. I have to say that this one is especially cool in my opinion since I really like sunrises. Keep them coming!

Thanks all,

Samuel