Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS-1D Mark IV

Re: EOS-1D Mark IV

Awesome!

I was wondering whether they would have the Mark IV in production for Vancouver 2010.. Looks like the answer is yes.

I'm curious to see how this new body works in the field...

I am kind agree with Benjamin, so if you own MK3 right now maybe no need to upgrade to MK4, unless you really love or thinkthe "New" focus function make lots different~ And ya HD video

For me I will get new MK3 with great discount price !

Quote Originally Posted by Vince

I am kind agree with Benjamin, so if you own MK3 right now maybe no need to upgrade to MK4, unless you really love or thinkthe "New" focus function make lots different~ And ya HD video

For me I will get new MK3 with great discount price !

I think the biggest deal about the new 1D MkIV is the low light sensitivity (Vincent Laforet's video is impressive) - unparalleled by any other Canon camera (although it will be interesting to see if the claim holds true once we see some test shots). If someone is primarily a daytime outdoor shooter,you're right, they're likely just fine sticking with the 1D MkIII (unless of course increased resolution or video are important to their workflow, but if that were the case then the 5D MkII would likely be a better fit for the job, so long as burst rate can be sacrificed and AF is satisfactory). But for a lot of people who shoot indoors (or even outdoors in low light conditions, e.g. high school football game) with horrible lighting the MkIV is likely to be incredibly valuable. And with 16MP you could possibly afford to shoot with a shorter wider lens and crop to a comparative 10MP image which is usually plenty big enough for most uses. I'm already thinking that for gymnasium sports I'll have my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS on the the new 1D MkIV and my 50mm f/1.2L II (or 24mm f/1.4L II) on my 'old' (1 month) 1D MkIII. While not as impressive of an evolution as I had hoped, still impressed none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

To go from the MK3 to MK4 feels like to go from 2009 Porsche Turbo to 2010 Porsche Turbo - it's a newer, better engineered car, but overall it's exactly the same as the old one that share the same frog like exterior. So not a revolution at all.

On the other hand, to jump from Nikon D2H to D3, D2x to D3x is like to jump from Jaguar X-Type to XF, from old XJ to the all new XJ - it is a revolution in every measurable way.

Can't believe in two and half years Canon didn't even change a thing on ergonomics given that the ergonomics on the MK3 is not exactly perfect, and it look exactly the same too. I remember Canon has once been know by its innovative steps, but with the MK4 it's different.

Finally, an 1.3x sensor is found once again.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I'm disappointed.

Ben
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]

Ben,

I think your looking at it the wrong way. If your a current 1D Mark III owner I can see why you'd say it's not a big upgrade, it isn't! Just as nearly anyone that is a 50D owner probably doesn't see the 7D as a significant enough upgrade to shell out another $1,700. As a 1Ds Mark III owner I can already tell you when the 1Ds Mark IV comes out IWONT be buying it. Even though it will have a newest highest MP sensor, full HD video, the new 920,000 pixel screen, etc... it won't be a large enough change for another 8G's. Will people looking at the specs fall in love with the new 30MP sensor, full HD video, the new 920,000 pixel screen, etc... damn skippy. I'm curious what upgrades would have made you want to run out and buy one?

All that said I think the new 1D Mark IV is a big upgrade and I am seriously considering it now. 10MP just wasn't enough for me but the new sensor has 160% more pixels, HD video, the new screen, more cross type focusing points, etc... Nikon has just recently caught up to the times with the D3X but there lenses are lacking IMHO.

Fred~

but overall it's exactly the same as the old one that share the same frog like exterior.
    P.S. I like my frog like exterior. It keeps the rain out. []

Quote Originally Posted by jcmeza_21

Do you think the 5d Mark II will be replaced soon? Dual Digic IV, 19 point AF system, built in flash transmitter, etc....
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It was on a relatively slow replacement cycle the first time around. I see little reason why they'd change that now. They'll have their hands full with production of the new 1D, completion and production of a new 1Ds (usually follows the 1D by 3-6 months I think), probably a replacement on the three-digit and/or four-digit series, and then a replacement in the two-digit series.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

To go from the MK3 to MK4 feels like to go from 2009 Porsche Turbo to 2010 Porsche Turbo - it's a newer, better engineered car, but overall it's exactly the same as the old one that share the same frog like exterior. So not a revolution at all.

On the other hand, to jump from Nikon D2H to D3, D2x to D3x is like to jump from Jaguar X-Type to XF, from old XJ to the all new XJ - it is a revolution in every measurable way.

Can't believe in two and half years Canon didn't even change a thing on ergonomics given that the ergonomics on the MK3 is not exactly perfect, and it look exactly the same too. I remember Canon has once been know by its innovative steps, but with the MK4 it's different.

Finally, an 1.3x sensor is found once again.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I'm disappointed.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you really don't like it, I'm sure Nikon or Sony would love the business. There's no rule that says you have to replace your existing camera with the replacement model. Canon has two different models with a full-frame sensor (one less expensive than the 1D, one more expensive), so pick one of those if that's what you want. There are four current models with 1.6x sensors (one in each line, from one-digit to four-digit), so pick one of those if that's what you want.

I for one think it's a fantastic upgrade. More cropability on the output, more ISO. I'm in the market for a second body (Rebel as backup to 1D just doesn't cut it), and was hoping this was coming soon. Now, I have to wait for Ritz to regain the ability to order and sell Canon (Ritz card, 10 months no interest, hey it works for me).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Yet another site; Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sample Images &amp; Movie:
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos1dm4/

The 1D Mark IV does seem impressive. It appears that the built in microphone works while shooting video. To me it appears the video add-on features look useful in a DSLR. But it is a camera first and I hope the Mark IV is representative of that.

I am looking forward to some real world reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jimr
    Yet another site; Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sample Images &amp; Movie:
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos1dm4/

the highest iso it shows is only 3200(sample pictures), I want to see some pictures taking with iso like 12800, H1, H2 and H3

the shulter speed will turn from 1/5sec(iso100) to 1/5940sec(isoH3)!

I have a new purpose in life, and it is to own a new 1D.

All I have to do is sell my truck. [:P]
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro