Thread: EOS-1D Mark IV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: EOS-1D Mark IV

Well this upgrade won't affect me as I have no plans to buy it, but I'm curious when I see reviewers continually asking for more than a 3-shot bracket, why Canon hasn't answered the bell on that one yet.

I guess sports pros don't bracket all that much and it's more of a reviewer complaint, rather than a field-tested liability. But the newer Nikons all go to at least 5 right? I don't know, maybe it's an overrated option. But if it's not Canon ought to get with the program...

just wondering...

[edit: I tell you what I will be buying however. Did anyone check out the accessories page, where you can get a 1GB CF card for only $84.99? Only $84.99! For an entire ONE GIGABYTE card. Wow how times have changed!]

just to leave it on a positive note (and so the fanboys don't get mad!), I have to say moving around 16.1MP files at 10fps is pretty amazing. I love the 6.5 on my 40D; it's hard to imagine getting such huge rez at 10fps.

This looks like the camera of my dreams for the most part (well, full-frame would have been nice []), but I do wish it at least had all the features of the 7D. I find this odd. I picked up a 7D at Best Buy and played with it for a few minutes, and immediately thought the attitude/horizon indicator was a great feature. I imagined how useful it would be with a ball head that didn't have built-in bubble level(s). Now I read that the brand-spanking new 1D Mark IV doesn't include the feature. WTH?

I am really interested to read Bryan's in-depth review of this camera body. I am prepared to love it, especially if the AF system has the kinks worked out. I really am not that interested in the video part for now, though that may change if I had one and tried it. If he gushes over it, I may have to start selling some guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by canoli

Well this upgrade won't affect me as I have no plans to buy it, but I'm curious when I see reviewers continually asking for more than a 3-shot bracket, why Canon hasn't answered the bell on that one yet.

I guess sports pros don't bracket all that much and it's more of a reviewer complaint, rather than a field-tested liability. But the newer Nikons all go to at least 5 right? I don't know, maybe it's an overrated option. But if it's not Canon ought to get with the program...

just wondering...

[edit: I tell you what I will be buying however. Did anyone check out the accessories page, where you can get a 1GB CF card for only $84.99? Only $84.99! For an entire ONE GIGABYTE card. Wow how times have changed!]

just to leave it on a positive note (and so the fanboys don't get mad!), I have to say moving around 16.1MP files at 10fps is pretty amazing. I love the 6.5 on my 40D; it's hard to imagine getting such huge rez at 10fps.

canoli,

My understanding, not having owned one myself, is that EOS 1D bodies can bracket nine shots. I am pretty sure it is at least seven. My 40D can do three, so that's nothing to write home about.

EDIT:

Here is this from the official Canon site. It appears capable of bracketing seven shots.

"Exposure Compensation (user-set): +/-3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments.
    Auto Bracketing (AEB): 3 shots, up to +/- 3 stops, in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments, in all exposure modes. Can be changed via C.Fn I-6 to 2, 5, or 7 shots. Bracketing order can be changed via C.Fn I-5."

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
    Can be changed via C.Fn I-6 to 2, 5, or 7 shots. Bracketing order can be changed via C.Fn I-5."

Sweet! I did not know that. Makes me feel better - 'twas hard to believe these >$4K cameras couldn't bracket more than 3 shots...

Thanks for the info!

I know some people were anxious to see some high-ISO images from the camera, so I found some here. From the looks of it, ISO 102,400 is a joke--I don't think they should allow sucha camera to output images that look like they were captured by an ATM security camera. But, alas, something's better than nothing I suppose.

These samples are from a pre-production model, of course.

All I can say is... ouch. But, I expected some pretty bad noise at this (crazy) ISO level.

But thinking about it seriously, as I mentioned before - Imagine if you had to get the shot as a professional (say, for press), I'm sure your editor would take a noisy image over no image. Just a thought.

canoli wrote

Well this upgrade won't affect me as I have no plans to buy it, but I'm
    curious when I see reviewers continually asking for more than a 3-shot
    bracket, why Canon hasn't answered the bell on that one yet.

both the 1Ds3 and the 1D3 (and maybe the older 1D's) you can do 3,5, or 7 bracketed shots without going into the menu system. That really should be in the lower cameras, too, but I'm not Canon!!

Quote Originally Posted by greggf

both the 1Ds3 and the 1D3 (and maybe the older 1D's) you can do 3,5, or 7 bracketed shots without going into the menu system. That really should be in the lower cameras, too, but I'm not Canon!!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It does take a visit to the menus to preset how many bracketed shots you want (2,3,5,7). Once that's set, pressing AF/Drive button and the Mode button simultaneously lets you dial up the bracket by 1/3-stop intervals. You'll see the 2/3/5/7 shots appear in the EC "bar graph". I'm slowly getting better at calling up a bracket at 2/3 or 1-stop intervals, selecting high-speed drive, selecting one-shot focus, and then getting preset for a 1/250th shutter speed. (1/250th is my target for handheld brackets, as 7 shots at 1-stop intervals means speeds of 1/2000 to 1/30, and that's usually enough to get decent shots).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Then how about in video mode it doesn'tuse the shutter then, and it's taking 30 pictures a second.