Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens Upgrades

Re: Lenses and Body Upgrades

Ok, how about the Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS. I know it's a little bit out of your buget, but it is extrmely sharp, and the IS allows you to hand hold about 4 stops slower shutter speed, has great AF, slightly better than the non-IS version, weather sealing,you will only cry one with that lens. Look at Bryan's ISO 112233 crops, it hasincredible sharpness. If you really want get out on a limb, check out the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS, for portriats it's awesome.

Hey John,

Thanks for the idea. I had not ever looked at either of these lenses. I have looked at the Sigma 70-200 that Bryan has reviewed, but is sounds like there are very few lenses that are really that good. Is this generally true across the board with the sigma? Have you heard of others with that lens who can't find any problem with it? Do you use or own or have you used the tamron?

I had not ever read the review of the f/4 IS before and now that I am looking at it is sounds very tempting but there is the small (or rather very large) problem on the price. It is just a little more than it seems like I could justify putting into a lens. The other lens that seems like it would be interesting is the 17-40mm f/4 IS because it is so wide and I can not cover that range right now. That with the 70-200 would seem to cover most of my needs but then again it might not be as effective a lens combo as it might appear.

Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming
    but is sounds like there are very few lenses that are really that good. Is this generally true across the board with the sigma? Have you heard of others with that lens who can't find any problem with it?

I have not used any Sigma lenses whatsoever, I heard from one person that his much older version of the Sigma 70-200mm was exelent.

Do you use or own or have you used the tamron?

I have tried the Tamron at a camera shop and was happy with the AF performance, but the image quality was great.

The other lens that seems like it would be interesting is the 17-40mm f/4 IS because it is so wide and I can not cover that range right now.

The Canon 17-40mm f/4 does not have IS, if you are also looking at that focal length range also take a into the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

John

Thanks John,

I have checked out the Tamron 17-50 and it looks like a killer of a lens. I have a couple of questions though. Will that lens work with only EF-S bodies? Also since it is basically a walk-around lens would it be worth the upgrade over my 24-85? The reason I ask about the EF-S is the 10D was made before that spec and therefore does not support it.

Samuel

Ignore this. I didn't read Flaming's post well. I am a moron. Gaah.

Will that lens work with only EF-S bodies?

Yes, your 10D is a EF-S body. Any Canon camera with a 1.6 conversion factor is a EF-S body.

Also since it is basically a walk-around lens would it be worth the upgrade over my 24-85?

I would defentilly be worth the upgrade, but since you don't have a medium telephoto lens I would recomend you get a 70-200mm of some kind before a general perpose lens because you will have a wider focul length range.

You could also get a ultra-wide such as a Canon 10-22mm....[] I love throwing curve balls at people....[]

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

Will that lens work with only EF-S bodies?

Yes, your 10D is a EF-S body. Any Canon camera with a 1.6 conversion factor is a EF-S body.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The 10D does have an ASP-C sensor, but not the white dot that represents EF-S mounting. It has the red dot that lines up with EF mounts. I do not know if this means the EF-S lenses cannot be mounted (are the mounts physically different?) I know the red and white dots are in two different places on my camera body which would lead me to believe that his 10D could not mount EF-S lenses.

Edit: I just looked at a couple of old Rebel vs 10D reviews. They all stated that the 10D cannot take EF-S lenses, even though it has the smaller sensor.

"Because this mount was not introduced until after the 10D was designed, these newer Canon EF-S lenses will not work on your EOS-10D. You'd need to stick with EF mount lenses in the Canon lineup. But, most third party lenses designed for models with an APS-C size sensor will work on your 10D (for example, Sigma's DC series lenses)."

-http://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-lenses/151734-compatible-lenses-canon-10d.html

That is why I have not bought the 10-22mm lens. I would love to have that super wide angle ability but the lens will not work on my body. It seems like everything I want but I would have to by at least a 20D to use it.

That's odd because the mounts looked the same to me, just different lenses.

I was just thinking about this. I realized that canon had to make them physically different or you would be able to accidentally mount an EF-S lens on an EF body and shatter your mirror and maybe cause other problems. However they would have to be close enough to not interfere with each other's mounting style.