Thread: these anoying white dots

these anoying white dots

ok, this is seriously annoying me

just take a look at these and ill explain the rest under

(the first two are on a Rebel T1i)

this is about a 160% crop

this is around 200%. you can really see those dots im really annoyed of

now, swtiching to a REBEL XS, this is a 160% crop

this is like what, 400% crop??? look at the amount of white dots... barely any

anyways... liek i said, the first two are from my T1i the last two are from my previously owned rebel XS.

i know those little white dots are not noise. the first two (T1i) are shot at ISO 800

the last two (XS) are shot at ISO 1600

they do get more apparent when i raise the ISO. even at 100 ISO, they are somewhat visible when cropped or zoomed in. introducing motion blur doesnt mask them either, so its not any external factors.

(this is ISO 100, a 400% crop. they are a little visible, hand held this at 0.8 secs, so some blur was imminent)

this is particularly annoying because when i try to sharpen a photo with those white pixels, they disrupt the image by becoming more visible, also it makes it look like it has a grain look, but the fugly looking grain. worse is, i use iso 1600 constantly, and many of my pictures are affected by this.

already emailing canon about this. this is so weird, i think it might just be the sensor.

anyone else has this problem? any insights? thank you!

Re: these anoying white dots

Looks like normal noise from out-of-camera JPEG files to me. Have you considered shooting raw and trying a different raw converter?

Can someone circle the white dots for me? [:P]

I really can't tell luck101, and I'm a fussy one for things like this...

raw when i use CS4, does actually a good job of this. but i dont use raw too often!!! and even if i try to reduce noise, they are not affected. i know white dots are some noise, when there isnt alot, but this case, there are alot, and kill my images.

this image was taken with raw+jpeg. no imporvements on raw file

jpeg

raw

The dots look like "standard" iso noise to me, or at least thats what ive always called it.

The only thing I'd recommend to reduce the appearance of the white dots after sharpening, is to fade your shaprening function form the "Edit" menu. For example. if you just sharpened using the "Unsharp Mask" method, right after doing that your next step would be to go to "Edit", select "Fade Unsharp Mask", and select "Luminocity" mode. That will prevent PS from making the white spots brighter.

Could you provide the full image along with the 100% 400% or whatever crop you prefer for showing the "white dots".

Thanks

Joel

You should always shoot in RAW, jpeg is just a veiwing format and compreses the picture every time you save it. When you edit a picture in RAW you are actually only editing the "formula" by which the picture will converted to either jpeg or tiff. tiff stands for "tagged image format" and is a lossless format and is another format that you could do your editing.

This isjust normal noise. Try using DDP it has very good noise reduction, it has seperate control of the white noise and the colored noise.