Thread: First Headshot Attempts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: First Headshot Attempts

Another thing I noticed is how clear his glasses are. That's most of the time really good but somewhat unsettling as well. A poster board held close in scene can create a large soft specular that very slightly frosts glasses. It is a cool technique and can give those lenses a little body. Otherwise, he might as well be wearing frames with no lenses. That's what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Another thing I noticed is how clear his glasses are. That's most of the time really good but somewhat unsettling as well. A poster board held close in scene can create a large soft specular that very slightly frosts glasses. It is a cool technique and can give those lenses a little body. Otherwise, he might as well be wearing frames with no lenses. That's what it looks like.

I noticed the same thing. I am going to say the glasses have no lenses, there is perspective skewing you usually get either. Some of those shots should have reflections in them if they actually had glass in them.

The lenses were out, we found that the lenses actually distorted the edges of his face the way they were curving light so we took them out.
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Quote Originally Posted by twistedphrame

The lenses were out, we found that the lenses actually distorted the edges of his face the way they were curving light so we took them out.

Yup. I did this pop in and get out shoot with low ceilings. Getting the light up high and tilt it down is usually a good way to avoid the direct reflections.

This is just to show the distortion. I have a version somewhere that has the reflections taken out and whitened teeth.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_3291sm.jpg[/img]

...my fav. is the last image...very cool!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

...ooops, my previous entry was @twistedphrame.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams