Thread: Groaning gyros

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Groaning gyros

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    <span>I have a 24 &ndash; 105 f/4 L which has been diagnosed with the gyros not stoping and noisy, very noisy

Hi Scott! Who diagnosed this behavior? Gyros do not make noise, actuators (the motors moving the stabilizer lens or lens group) do. Unfortunately, this does not solve your problem.

The fact that the lens is very noisy comes down in favor of a mechanical problem; on the other hand, the noise stopping only when the lens is off the body would suggest a different cause. Electronics may sometimes "go insane" when exposed to strong electromagnetic fields, excessive heat or other kind of physical stress...

Apart from the abnormal noise, is your 24-105 functioning (AF and IS)? Can you tell if IS is working properly by looking through the viewfinder at 105mm, even if now you can't compare IS off/on?

That's quite an intriguing problem... I couldn't find anything similar googleing the web... Please, let us know how all this will end up. Good luck!

Pier

Quote Originally Posted by pierlux

Hi Scott! Who diagnosed this behavior? Gyros do not make noise, actuators (the motors moving the stabilizer lens or lens group) do.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'm no direct expert, but gyros are a moving part, so they can make noise.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by pierlux

Hi Scott! Who diagnosed this behavior? Gyros do not make noise, actuators (the motors moving the stabilizer lens or lens group) do.

I'm not an expert either, but a properly balanced and functioning gyro wouldn't make a noise that we could hear, but I could see a faulty gyro making noise. The actuators do make a noise that is normal and some (all?) lenses they even make a little clunk.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I'm not an expert either, but a properly balanced and functioning gyro wouldn't make a noise that we could hear, but I could see a faulty gyro making noise.

I'm not a Daniel Browning clone, either[]... Nonetheless, to the best of my knowledge, gyros used in Canon image stabilizers are not much different from those present in several other devices including iPhones, Wii controllers and some laptops, just to mention a few of them. Basically, they are microaccelerometers. Canon defines them vibration gyro (angular velocity sensor) and acceleration sensor to indicate, respectively, the gyro implemented in the conventional image stabilizer to compensate for angle camera shake and the one added to the new hybrid IS which compensates for shift camera shake. There are no spinning parts in such gyros, the Canon technology is based on murata-type prismatic beam gyro (have a look here) and therefore, faulty or not, they can never produce even the faintest noise.

@Scott: hope you managed to have your 24-105 fixed the soonest... btw, apart from the impossible-to-switch-off groaning, whatever the cause, does it work despite the noise?

Pier

Alan

Here is the only gyros that I've had, and eventually, they will make you groan! []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/gyros.jpg[/img]

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Thank you all for your replies. My lens is now in the hands of the experts [] When the lens was on the camera and it was making the noise the image through the view finder would jump constantly, a few times every second. Towards the end I kept getting read errors, incompatible lens and stuff, an X would come up then it would freeze.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]The diagnosis was first done by the shop where I bought it, they are reputable as far as I&rsquo;m concerned, but who really knows and now it is with Canon <st1:country-region><st1lace>Australia</st1lace></st1:country-region> in <st1:city><st1lace>Melbourne</st1lace></st1:city>.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]The noise it makes was like a chick chick chick chick chick, several times every second at least, it wouldn&rsquo;t change no matter what I tried, sometimes it would stop when wound out to 105, and sometimes it wouldn&rsquo;t.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] As I said before I would have to be the most gentle on my equipment, and hence why it ticks me off even more to happen to a four month old lens.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I will keep you updated when it comes back.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Thank again
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Scott
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]So far I'm up to seventy bucks in postage and insurance, just to top it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]So far I'm up to seventy bucks in postage and insurance, just to top it off.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

For what it's worth, I have my camera gear insured through a Valuable Personal Property rider. As a result, I don't insure it during shipping. I figure why double-insure it? The premium is roughly 1.5% (annually) the value of the gear. Assuming US dollars, that lens is about $1200, so insurance would be $18/year. If you paid that much to insure the shipment, you're better off insuring it for the whole year for the same amount of money (if you can get similar coverage).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.