Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got the 35L!

Just got the 35L!

Well not own the 35L, but I've decided to rent it for ten days over the holidays and it just came in a about a half hour ago. [:P]

I was super exited when I heard the rumbling of the UPS truck pull up to my house. I reserved it about a week and a half ago at Lensrentals.com, and I was just in time because it was out of stock to yesterday at the time I reserved it. So because of that they had to charge only about $10 more for overnight shipping.

Ahhh, man. This lens just FEELS amazing, let alone looks so tempting. I can't wait to actually use it tomorrow when I fly intoCaliforniato see my sister and some family. This is the first L lens I've used, and I've only shot a test shot and I already have L fever.

It looks a bit funny having this lens on my tiny Rebel XT w/ battery grip, but looks just at home mounted on my EOS-1 film SLR.

ANYWAYS, enough of my super hyped moment; Let me know of your experiences and thoughts of the 35L. I'll be back with mine next week. [H]

Re: Just got the 35L!

That is the one L lens that I truly have desired and yet to obtain. I had the 24 1.4L on my 40D and loved it when I switched to FF I found it too wide so I wanted to get the 35L. But I started doing a lot of paid work and found I needed zooms for what I was doing so I sold the 24L and bought the 16-35 2.8II and 24-7- 2.8 and I just keep telling myself I will have the 35L soon.

Hey Garrett-Grimsley!

I have a "crush" on this lens since a while, and consider buying it. But unfortunately, no rental shop in Austria carries it (they only have the 50L and the 24L, not the 35L) so I can test it out.

Could you take some headshots and head/shoulder portraits for me? I am looking for a lens that doesn't compress facial features...

If you could take the time and take a few shots like that, I'd be really thrilled.

Thanks for considering my request!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley
    It looks a bit funny having this lens on my tiny Rebel XT w/ battery grip...

Probably not as funny as my 70-200 f/2.8 IS on the XTi...

lol, sean, i second that, i think its sooo funny to see the 70-200 2.8 on a rebel lol, im wondering if the batery grip would make the T1i look a bit more robust with that huge lens on.. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by trosky

lol, sean, i second that, i think its sooo funny to see the 70-200 2.8 on a rebel lol, im wondering if the batery grip would make the T1i look a bit more robust with that huge lens on.. lol.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The battery grip helps, actually...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJ

Hey Garrett-Grimsley!

I have a "crush" on this lens since a while, and consider buying it. But unfortunately, no rental shop in Austria carries it (they only have the 50L and the 24L, not the 35L) so I can test it out.

Could you take some headshots and head/shoulder portraits for me? I am looking for a lens that doesn't compress facial features...

If you could take the time and take a few shots like that, I'd be really thrilled.

Thanks for considering my request!

Thomas

You want the 50 1.4. No compression or distortion. The 35 is going to exaggerate noses a little bit.

Keith,

Thanks for your input! I am considering the 50L at this time, shot some test shots at the photo store on Tuesday. Lookin' good, except some CAs under certain conditions, especially glossy white out-of-focus stuff.

I also checked the 14L - let me tell ya, that's fun!

I am looking for a lens, that will slightly exaggerate body features, as I am planning on using it for nudes (see my topic "The 'other' portrait").. The 35L seems to be the lens, but I have never tried it, unfortunately. So I am keen on seeing it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJ

Keith,

Thanks for your input! I am considering the 50L at this time, shot some test shots at the photo store on Tuesday. Lookin' good, except some CAs under certain conditions, especially glossy white out-of-focus stuff.

I also checked the 14L - let me tell ya, that's fun!

I am looking for a lens, that will slightly exaggerate body features, as I am planning on using it for nudes (see my topic "The 'other' portrait").. The 35L seems to be the lens, but I have never tried it, unfortunately. So I am keen on seeing it in action.

No problem.

He is an example shot at 35mm with my 16-35 II on FF.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_5833smBW.jpg[/img]

Looking good!

Thanks for sharing!

Seems like I want the 50L *and* the 35L A 16-35 for portrait seems obscene to me.. Haha!