Thread: Ef-D Screens on Canon 50D: Shoud I get one?

Ef-D Screens on Canon 50D: Shoud I get one?

Who among here uses this accessory most of the time? Since it's a bit inexpensive, I think I may get myself one of these (since I always use grid 2 option on the liveview). I had some questions though:

I've been using the default screen, would the lines interfere what I see in the viewfinder? (somewhat annoying or something similar?)

Is it darker (or lighter) compared to using the default screen?

Where could I get a pdf manual on how to replace the screen? I want to know how easy it is via the instructions online.

Thanks!

Re: Ef-D Screens on Canon 50D: Shoud I get one?

Hi Ralph....

This may or may not answer your questions entirely but it's a start....

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/masterclass/eos_40d_focus_screen.do

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Focusing-Screen-Digital-Camera/dp/B000X06ZH4

They are listing the 40D, but should in essence be the same.

Hope this helps.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Cheers mate. Thanks! The instructional video was of great help. But I need to justify buying one vs using the standard screen.

I have one and it's pretty good. My girlfriend thinks it's pointless but I like it. The lines are VERY thin and don't get in the way - in fact they're very difficult to see in low light.

I don't really like that the lines sit on the third points properly, and as an engineer it annoys me that the AF points don't quite line up with the gaps in the grid properly.

But I still think it's worth the money. You'll also learn how to clean your viewfinder when you need to - I hate having bits of dust in there and until I fitted a new screen I couldn't work out where it was hiding.

A tip though: if you get dust on the screen during fitting, or if you want to clean it, DO NOT touch it. It's plastic and scratches VERY easily. I would suggest that you clean it with short bursts of good quality compressed air (then it shouldn't splurt liquid - but if it does it shouldn't damage it like it would the sensor). I fitted mine when I had none to hand, got dust on it and tried knocking it off with my lens cloth. The larger bits of dust just disintegrated into smaller pieces, and I ended up scratching my screen and having to buy a new one.

Thanks! Unfortunately, the Canon store here in my area doesn't even knew what a "focusing screen" is, let alone "Ef-D focusing screens" []. I'll try to look somewhere in the vicinity for one

I have one in the 40D.

The lines are thin enough so that you don't think about them when you don't need them, but are still there when you do need them.

The 7D has this configurable without replacing any hardware.

I find a grid outline focusing screen to be the single most important accessory for any of my cameras - indeed, the availability of such a screen is a major consideration when I'm looking to buy a camera.

Without one, my horizon tips and my buildings lean unless I happen to be using a tripod and a spirit level!

Quote Originally Posted by musickna

Without one, my horizon tips and my buildings lean unless I happen to be using a tripod and a spirit level!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Exactly! I don't need to buy another tripod head/leg with a spirit level when I have this on.

I wished I've saved money for the 7D. I just got my 50D just this May. Sad...