Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: canon 85 1.8 vs canon 50mm 1.4

canon 85 1.8 vs canon 50mm 1.4

Which would you choose? This would be on a 1.6 crop body and used mainly for portrait photography and some video use.

I have the 50mm 1.8 but I don't like how it handles flare. If any light hits the glass the whole image gets blown out.

Re: canon 85 1.8 vs canon 50mm 1.4

I've owned both lenses at one time or another. For build quality, image quality, and focusing speed, I'd give a nod to the 85mm f/1.8. However, for most usefulness, I'd have to say the 50mm f/1.4. Why? On a crop body, when I need the wide aperture, I'm not shooting people terribly far away. The 50mm focal length provides a much more useful field of view than the 85mm does for my own personal use.

You can take fantastic images with both. The 85mm is a little better built (and newer), but the focal range proved much less useful for me. For that reason alone, I really enjoy my 50mm f/1.4. I'd suggest letting focal length alone be the deciding factor between the two lenses. I did like the 85mm lens when I had it, and I've often thought about getting it again. However, it would be relegated to special uses like wedding ceremonies and receptions rather than used more often as a general purpose lens.

Wow, I kind of rambled through that one...too tired to change it, though. ;-)

sound advice Sean. How does your 50 1.4 handle flare?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen

sound advice Sean. How does your 50 1.4 handle flare?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

From the sun, I'm not quite sure. However, I have fired a strobe directly into the lens to simulate the sun, and it's worked very well. I'm actually kind of fond of the starburst that's created. This isn't one of my best, but it shows what I'm talking about...

For once I would have to disagree with the esteemed Sean (I would always defer to his vastly superior strobist knowledge). On a 1.6 crop, 135mm is perfect for portrait photography, getting you away from your subject and giving you great background blur. And the 85 1.8 is pure magic for me. It is my most-often used portrait lens, and doubles as a great indoor sports lens, with quite fast AF. I own both the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8, and have also owned the 50mm 1.2 and the 85mm 1.2 - the bigger glass definitely have advantages in studio work, but I found their AF speed to be somewhat lacking for non-composed shots. In the end, I couldn't justify the $2600 in lens inventory, when it could be better spent elsewhere. For my needs, the lower-end 50 and 85mm both get the job done.

The AF on the 85 1.8 is definitely faster than the 50mm 1.4, something you might consider in your purchasing decision. If you take a look at my photo gallery at http://www.ithinksmall.com/gallery - most all the portraits were done with the 85mm 1.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    However, for most usefulness, I'd have to say the 50mm f/1.4.

I'll agree. I have the 50mm f/1.8, and the 85mm f/1.8 on a T1i. Despite the 85mm being sharper, and having USM, it's rarely used... it's just too long for indoors, except perhaps if you're doing a posed portrait. Perhaps I'll use the 85mm more in summer months, but right now it's rarely used.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gardner
    f you take a look at my photo gallery at http://www.itihnksmall.com/gallery - most all the portraits were done with the 85mm 1.8.

I couldn't get this to work

I'll try spelling right this time...

http://www.ithinksmall.com/gallery

I honestly think that each lens will suit each photographer differently depending on his shooting style. If you have the room to shoot, the 85mm lens is better built with faster AF and fantastic image quality. It is a very good portraiture lens as Rob said. I was just pointing out that for my own personal use (having a 1.6x crop body as well), it's simply too long for everyday use. However, for someone who primarily uses focal lengths longer than 50mm, the 85mm f/1.8 is a hands-down favorite

Rob-

You could insert the link for us so we don't have to cut and paste. To do that, highlight the text and click on the chain above the post window. Paste the link in the URL textbox, choose Target "Open Link in New Window," and if you're feeling frisky, you can even add a caption title too. ;-)

www.flickr.com/photos/budrowilson