Thread: 24mm vs 30mm

24mm vs 30mm

So I'm a new owner of the 7D who purchased a used Sigma 30mm 1.4 and am through the roof with how great these pix are turning out. I recently got my hands on a used 16-35L (mark I) and am less than impressed. I wanted something wider than the 30mm so that's why I went for the 16-35 but as the review on this website points out, this lens over exposes. I've been trying to keep the indoor shots to the lowest ISO that I can, but it's turning out some less than impressive photos.

I have the possibility of getting my hands on a 24mm 1.4L (mark 1)

So my questions is:

Is the 24mm 1.4L (mark 1) that much wider than the 30mm I have?

Re: 24mm vs 30mm

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysuptil1
    So my questions is:

In terms of diagonal view the 24mm will have about a 49 degree FoV compared to the 30mm having a 48 degree FoV on your 7D. As the focal length gets smaller the difference in FoV becomes much more apparent. In short, I think you'll find the 24mm to be quite noticably wider.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysuptil1

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Dial in 24 and 30 on the 16-35L. It should give you an idea of the difference.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    Dial in 24 and 30 on the 16-35L. It should give you an idea of the difference.

Mark
    Or you could just do that :-)

Hahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!! Now I feel really dumb!!!! I love it when it's that obvious and staring me in the face. Thanks all!

On another note, as a person who has used a dslr for the last 5-6 years as merely a utilitarian tool in my line of work, I'm now using this fantastic tool to capture some lovely moments and places. Using the 16-35 today out in the woods on a cloudy day taught me another lesson and that is that I have to adjust to the personalities if you will, of each lens I use. 30mm on my 16-35L at 2.8 is much different than the Sigma 30mm at 2.8.

I truly enjoy the fact that I am still a newbie at this. The more I know, the more I realize I know nothing. :-)

Thanks again everyone and happy holidays[]

Amen to that! I feel dumber every day.... and yes, lenses *do* have personalities. And like chemistry between people, one person will love a certain body/lens combo, and another can be ambivalent or even hate it. Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gardner
    nd like chemistry between people, one person will love a certain body/lens combo, and another can be ambivalent or even hate it.

Couldn't agree more. You have to find the gear that caters to your shooting style.