Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trying to save for a new lens

Re: trying to save for a new lens

wow........thanks for all the input guys. looks like its pretty universal that you all really like the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. i think i'll try and save up for that one......even though it is $1200 here in canada, and thats with the canon rebate right now. maybe i'll luck out and find one used

james

Yes it's one great lens, I try to post a picture here so you can value it's sharpness and colors. Wait for it :P

Used ones are not to hard to find. It's a more expensive lens so there aren't a lot of people looking for it. And a lot of people selling these lenses are people that got a full frame camera and had to sell the ef-s lens, so they often are in very very good condition, so 2nd hand is a real good option to go for in this case.Most of the times it's really a lot cheaper. You might even get to buy one within the 1 year canon guarantee and a lot cheaper! Always try them out though...

And you could sell your 18-55 and your 28-135, maybe that will get you closer.

Still try to try the lens out somewhere, that gives you the best idea of handling and other personal things.

Good luck mate! I'm sure you will like whatever decision you will make

Quote Originally Posted by lynx0069
    the 28-135 is the lens that i keep on my rebel about 80% of the time, its a good walk around lens,but i miss having the wide angle

I suggest the new EF-S 15-85. You will lose some telephoto reach, but nothing that isn't already covered by your 70-200 (with some nice overlap, even). You will gain wide angle capability (wider even than your 18-55), and it will completely replace your 18-55 and 28-135 so you can sell them if you want. Best of all, the quality will be much better than the 28-135, which I think you will really notice in your photos.

Normally I would suggest something like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or a few primes even, but since you are mostly happy with the 28-135, I think the 15-85 will be a better fit for you.

28-135 compared with 15-85 at 35mm

28-135 compared with 15-85 at 85mm

I've had the 10-22mm wide angle for about 4 years now, and have been consistently pleased with the results. I think it would round out the wide end of your range very nicely.

It was the third lens I bought for my Rebel XT (excluding the poor 18-55mm kit lens of the time). I'd also got the 70-200 f/4 L, but for the midrange I'd picked up the cheap but pretty good for the price Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM lens.

Almost immediately, I noticed that the quality of my mid-range shots from the 28-105mm, my usual walk-around lens, was lacking something compared with those from the 10-22mm and the 70-200mm. I suspect that, if you go for either the 10-22mm or the 17-40mm L, you are going to get the same reaction with your 28-135mm zoom.

So I think Daniel Browning's suggestion of the new 15-85mm is a very good one. You'll get pretty wide shots at the low end, a nice upper range overlap with your 70-200mm and your midrange shots should be significantly finer. It's what I would do today under your circumstances.