Thread: 50D AutoFocus Micro Adjustment: amenity or necessity?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 50D AutoFocus Micro Adjustment: amenity or necessity?

I'd say amenity. I have a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS that I always thought missed focus (although not too terribly) on my XTi. Once on the 50D, though, I could dial in the focus using a microfocus adjustment. Other than the 70-200, all the rest of my lenses seem to work just fine with no microfocus adjustment.

Out of curiosity, if you can determine that a lens is front- or back-focusing, is that something that Canon Service can and will take care of?

Since you say AF MicroAdjust is an amenity, and you only have one lens that isn't focusing accurately out of the box, I just wondered. Also, is this the norm? It seems like there are lots of people with multiple lenses that are slightly out in one direction or another. If it weren't a common problem, why would Canon develop a solution for it?

All serious questions that I honestly don't know the answer to, not rhetorical.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
    Out of curiosity, if you can determine that a lens is front- or back-focusing, is that something that Canon Service can and will take care of?

When I first got the 70-200, I sent it to Canon's Service Repair because I thought there was a focus issue. They sent it back to me saying there wasn't anything wrong with it. They said if I noticed any further issues, I'd have to send my camera in with the lens. I lived with it. Then I got the 50D, and was able to fix the issue with a microadjustment.

The reason I said amenity is this--most of the time, it isn't needed (when all works as it should). When it doesn't, Canon should be able to fix focus with a warranty repair. However, having microfocus adjustment allows you to work with lenses that have relatively small focusing issues without the need for sending it (and your camera) in for calibration.