Thread: Flash for 50D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Flash for 50D

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

The 50D onboard flash will not trigger any remote flashes. You can trigger Canon remote flashes with the 580EX or 550EX series of flashes, or by the ST-E2 trigger.

Just to complete the list, the macro-specific flashes (MR-14EX or MT-24EX) can also act as masters in a Canon wireless flash system.

OK the next dilemma is:

1. 430EXII + ST-E" triiger

2. 580EXII

I am not going to do weddings, only perhaps some portaits / still life for microstock. I will use a lot on camera at informal gatherings etc but not for commercial purposes. I like the idea of the flexibility that off camera can give, especially with a simple stand and reflector set up, but maybe the extra power of the 580 would be useful. I am leaning twards the 430/st-E2 combination as the next investment. Any advice?

Thanks

Steve

I have the 430EX and ST-E2 but rarely use the flash off camera. It works fine though. If I was making the choice again, I'd go for the 580EX purely for the extra power. I only ever use the flash off camera for macro work and an off camera shoe cord is sufficient. I seldom do any portrait shooting so I can't really advise you on your specific needs.Two things to be aware of is that 1) the ST-E2 uses expensive non-rechargeable batteries and 2) while slaved to the ST-E2 the 430EX flash emits 1 per second pulses from the infra red AF assist lamp which you and your subjects might find distracting/irritating.

I started out with 430EX and ST-E2 on my 40D. I had a shoot through and later added a 28" Wescott softbox. It worked really well. The flashing red pulse is hardly annoying if it is bothersome, you can rotate the head separate from the body to position it away from your subject. Regardless of what you'll hear a lot, the ST-E2 works very well indoors most of the time you don't even need it in light of sight. I've been able to get mine to fire lights in separate rooms. The infrared bounces around really well. I works outside reasonably well the range is reduced and line of site becomes a little more important.

I'm going to pick up a Dynalite power-pack and Strobes in a month or two and I'm pretty excited that the pack has a IR sensor built into it. I can use the ST-E2 to fire it and still use my 580EXII's for fills and edge lights. It has optical slave to but I like the idea of the IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I'm going to pick up a Dynalite power-pack and Strobes in a month or two and I'm pretty excited that the pack has a IR sensor built into it. I can use the ST-E2 to fire it and still use my 580EXII's for fills and edge lights. It has optical slave to but I like the idea of the IR.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Fair warning: if your ST-E2 fires the pack, it will fire it on the test flash; the Dynalite will be happily recharging while the shutter is open. If you want to use any sort of light-based triggering, everything has to be on the same system: your trigger has to be dumb, and firing only when the flashlight is expected, or it has to be smart and all of your slaves have to be smart.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Fair warning: if your ST-E2 fires the pack, it will fire it on the test flash; the Dynalite will be happily recharging while the shutter is open. If you want to use any sort of light-based triggering, everything has to be on the same system: your trigger has to be dumb, and firing only when the flashlight is expected, or it has to be smart and all of your slaves have to be smart.

So you are saying the focus assist beam will set off the pack? Or are you talking about when in TTL? I rarely use TTL.

I'm going to use the built-in pocket wizard most of the time. But at first I was only planning on getting one head so I figured go with the IR until I get more.

Thanks for the heads up.

Do consider a 430 or 580, plus a PocketWizard Mini/Flex or Flex/Flex combo. I know it's expensive, but the apparent power gains and the flexibility of second curtain/normal/hypersync/high-speed sync without pushing any buttons are well worth it.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.