Thread: Help with Speedlight 430XII

Help with Speedlight 430XII

Hi!

I've read all through the flash thread, but I'm still confused, so Iapologizefor my idiocy. I've recently picked up my first Speedlight. I dropped some cash and went with the 430XII. I've been playing with it, but now I have a few questions. I want to set my flash up off the camera. I was not aware that I needed a second speedlight to do so. Is there anyway for my camera (XTi) to communicate with my speedlight or do I need an additional one, or a trigger system?

Sparknotes: Want to get off camera flash going.

Can my one flash work with my Xti?

If not, what steps can I take to get it working?

Thanks so much

Re: Help with Speedlight 430XII

No, you need something else to trigger it. The 430EX II can only be a slave in a wireless setup, so you need a master. The new 7D body can serve as a master, but not your XTi. You need a 580EX II flash, one of the macro flashes, or the ST-E2 wireless transmitter.

or a non-canon radio trigger. Have a look at the Yongnuo rf602 transmitter. They work really well and are very cheap. for a single off camera flash setup it would probably be around $40 US (can't be bothered looking it up). I 'd suggest you get an extra reciever as well in case you get another flash at some stage.

This way you save many hundreds on a 580exII or the ST-E2 transmitter.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

You can buy an extension cable - Canon ones are 2m long (i.e. short, but they do work). Off-brand cables are available in longer versions.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Wow, they summed up the possibilities quite nicely.

:-)