Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for all round lens for Hawaii trip

Suggestions for all round lens for Hawaii trip

Hi all,

I recently started using a DSLR (Canon 450D) and will be travelling to Hawaii in a few weeks.

Having only used the kit Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, I realize that it will not be adequate for the opportunities for good photography that will present themselves in Hawaii.

I have often found myself with not enough length with the 18-55mm, but i am aware that going too much on the telephoto end may leave me with not enough width for the landscapes.

Please could you make some suggestions for a good multi
    purpose/walkabout lens? I would be looking to spend around the $500
    mark.

Alternatively, should I get one wide angle and one telephoto zoom with the additional burden of lugging them around and changing lenses. (Did I mention that I am a newbie to DSLRs and am more comfortable with the idea of one lens for everything?)

Look forward to your replies. Thanks

Re: Suggestions for all round lens for Hawaii trip

Little more then $500, but the Canon 15-85mm will give you a little over everything - with great picture quality at the same time.

Welcome Elveneye7;

First....as you read more about photographyand become more experienced you will discoverone ofmanymantras in photography; that no one lens will do it all.

With that said, I suggest you read Bryan's (this sites owner) reviews concerning lenses, specifically the 18-200.My take away from your question iswhat Bryan said about the 18-200 ($595 at BH) though a little over your "around $500";

"Some people want to capture all of their memories and experiences (and still have very good quality images) without the burden of carrying a backpack full of lenses (and a tripod). And there are times when carrying a backpack and tripod is not practical or even possible. For these people and these situations, the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens is a great choice - a great travel lens. Such was the situation with my previously mentioned trip to New York City - business was the primary purpose of the trip. The 50D and 18-200 in a Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 20 went with me everywhere and were not a burden. I came back with some nice images from the trip."

Also read the reviews on thethe 17-85 and 18-135 reviews (both about 450 at BH).

Good luck and have fun

Bill

You might consider the Tamrom 18-270 crazy zoom, too many abbreviations lens. While it certainly makes plenty of optical compromises to get that range, I played with one and immediately thought it would be a great vacation lens. I think you can get it for just a tad over $500.

What's your goal going into the trip, and what's your goal coming out of the trip? In other words, what's more important: having good pictures, or having a lens owned by you when you finish the trip? I say that to prompt you to consider renting. You may want to rent the next lens you think you might buy, or a lens (or a few) you won't buy anytime in the next 10 years (or more) but will make a difference in your photography on this trip. (I'd consider the EF-S 10-22 and either the 70-200/4IS or the 85/1.2, depending on whether you expect more action or portrait photography.)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

First off let me say that I LIVE in Hawaii (Waikiki to be exact). I shoot primarily with a 24-105 f/4 L IS USM. Now that's about twice as much as your price range, but just to illustrate that here, most of the time, speed isn't a big deal with all the sunshine. However, as another just said, you probably don't want to buy a lens FOR this vacation and then be unhappy with it when you are home for a couple months. There is a rental store HERE in Hawaii if you just want to come with what you have and rent the day you get here. www.hawaiicamera.com GREAT place, nice lens selection, and if you rent a lens for 4 days you get it for 7. How long will you be staying here? If you haven't rented before, you just need to have a deposit (I think it's like half the price of the lens(s) you're renting but don't quote me on that - I'm a regular so I have no deposit). Josh is very friendly and cool and has all the best lenses. I rented the EF-S 10-22mm from him for almost 3 weeks before I went to France. It rEALLY was nice in France. You'll find it's nice here too with all the scenery. Also a nice zoom would be good for you. I think you should stop in here and just see what he has and what he recommends. It's on the busline, but if you have a car you're all set up. I know you don't want to be in and out of the store, but rather enjoying your vacation, but if you rented one, maybe two lenses at the time you get here you'd just have to return to drop them off. As far as BUYING a good all-around lens? Personally I would look to spend closer to 800 on one and just take good care of it. The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is NICE.... I think it's about 900. I know you're not professional, and maybe money doesn't grow on trees where you are (doesn't here either!) but a lens is an investment... that's why I would go with renting! The 85mm f/1.2 that was mentioned is GREAT for portraits but .... it's $1700 give or take to buy (only 20-something dollars to rent!)

- Jordan Murphy

www.freshphotohawaii.com

Thank you all for your responses.

I did consider renting after some of you mentioned it, but since I will be travelling to Calif, Big Island, then Maui. I may have to either rent multiple times or rent from Houston and keep the lenses with my for 14 days. Renting from Houston works out to be a couple of hundred dollars for the trip, I may as well buy something i will have even after the trip by re-allocating some finances to a one time purchase.

That said, I am trying to decide between the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens

and the

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

or Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

(Also read through the reviews of the 15-85mm and 17-85mm, and then shot some pictures with a friend who has 28-135mm. I feel I could use the additional distance.)

How much of a difference will USM on the older 28-135mm lens make compared to the newer lenses with micro-motor in the long run?

Thanks again

EF 24-85mm USM

Hello all.

Thank you again for all your comments. I wanted to let you know that I finally settled for the 18-135mm IS Lens.

So far I am happy with the purchase.