Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens rental, good or bad idea?

Re: Lens rental, good or bad idea?

I'm a complete fan of lensrentals.com. Only time I've rented elsewhere was a last-minute rental here in San Antonio (can't believe they took full retail deposits on very used flashes) and a steal of a deal for a day rental from Glazer's in Seattle.

My high-level advice is to either rent lens you honestly think are high on your "buy" list so you know what to buy, and/or rent lenses you know won't make it up your list anytime soon when they make sense to try. I started out owning a 24-105, and in one shot rented the 16-35/2.8I, 70-200/2.8IS, 100-400, and 1.4x. I went in thinking the 16-35 and 70-200 were high on the buy list, and came out knowing the 70-200 was to be purchased ASAP (the 16-35 came nine months later). I wasn't impressed with the 100-400, but maybe I'm too much of a fast-lens snob (I admit it!!!).

When in Seattle last August, with our 16-35 needing a visit to Canon repair, I rented the 14/2.8. I could have rented the 16-35/2.8II just like what we owned, but for $5 more I got to try the 14. It's fantastic, but I can't justify it anytime soon (my fiance wants it though...). I also tried the 200/2IS - holy cow, what an amazing portrait and action lens. For a lens I thought I'd try once (for $45!!!), it could be #3 on my lens-to-buy list. (So much for a lens I thought wouldn't be on my list anytime soon...)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

I wasn't impressed with the 100-400, but maybe I'm too much of a fast-lens snob (I admit it!!!).

The 100-400 doesn't get me excited, but it's very practical. Subjectively, I prefer the pictures I get with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS and my 400 f/5.6 better, but...

The 400mm is a prime without IS, and the 70-200 f/2.8 doesn't have nearly the same reach, and if you compare the 70-200 f/2.8 with a 2x teleconverter to the 100-400 f4.5-5.6, the 100-400 performance in spectacular in comparison.

I mean, I understand where you're coming from. The 100-400 doesn't make me just ooze with joy when I use it, but I think it's very good, for what it is.

Now, if you can fill upa fullframe with a 24mm lens on some large game animals, that would be some interesting stuff. Perhaps idiotic, but interesting, I'd bet.

Hey, maybe Daniel would want to tag along with that f/1.4 mkII

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

It will be a "once in a lifetime" shot, that's for sure. []

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

It will be a "once in a lifetime" shot, that's for sure. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

As in dead! [:O]

Fortunately I had my 600mm when I took this shot.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.86/_5F00_MG_5F00_7570.TIF3-reduced.JPG[/img]

This picture is uncropped!

At any rate if your budget allows it would be great to rent the longest lens you could afford so you can capture those true"Once in a lifetime" shots, while still keeping your headscrewed on![]

John.

If your guide is a photographer, he will tell you what to bring, since he knows how close you will be able to get. Rent just what he suggests. I suspect that it might be a longer lens than you think.

I would go for the extremes:

50-500 sigma

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/sigma-50-500mm-f4-6.3-ex-hsm/for-canon

canon 10-22

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon-ef-s-10-22mm-f3.5-4.5/for-canon

and might I suggest theGun and Barrel Steak &amp; Game House while your there (best tenderloin I've ever had).

Responding the the title of your post, for me I say, "bad idea" when it comes to lenses I know are on my list. For example, for an upcoming trip I want to take an EF-S 10-22mm lens. Renting it for a week from lensrentals.com, insured with shipping costs, comes to 10% of the purchase price of the lens. After doing sufficient research to know I want the lens, I'd rather just buy it and save the 10% - the trip becomes my 'excuse', as it were. On the other hand, I can certainly see renting an 'off-list' lens, such as a TS-E lens, just to try it.

Good suggestions!

The 100-400 is a lens I've owned for a long time now and I LOVE it... it is a little slow for my taste, but oh well. I rented an EF 300mm f/4 L IS for the last two days and I have to say, I like it more! haha... with a 1.4x it's 420 f/5.6. Still... I think the 100-400 is the way to go. I'm sure none of this matters as you're already on your vacation.. haha! Here is a shot I took TODAY with the 300 f/4. Okay okay... I took at the Honolulu ZOO but oh well right?! No one has to know that!

- Jordan

www.freshphotohawaii.com