Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noise on a 50D

Re: Noise on a 50D

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I must notice that I have had two the same pictures just taken moments after each other, but exactly the same composition, same light, same everything except for focus maybe (macro shots)...one could fail and one is good. How could you explain that then? I thought it was a mechanical error. And when I'm talking about noise at ISO100 I mean NOISE.... like iso3200 noise. Still kicking myself for throwing away those pictures so fast....

Could be something is broken. If it happens again, post the raw files (the 1 noisy and the other OK) and I'll see if I can help. Some 50D owners have had to send their camera in for repair before, but it's rare.

I'll do that. Can take a while though. The weather isn't great at the moment and it still is a rare occasion. However, thanks for your help [Y]greatly apreciated[Y]

Hi Dan, thanks for the offer. Most of the noise I see is in clouds, after I apply a grad in lightroom. I looked at some raw files in DPP and they look better even at 100%. I'll find one that is noisy and send it as you suggest. Trouble is I bought a 6 month old camera off ebay so no warranty....

and should I switrch off these:

• Highlight Tone Priority
    • Automatic Lighting Optimizer

I think they are off already, I certainly haven't activated them so will check off.

@ Daniel - what address should I send to on yousendit.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR
    and should I switrch off these:

Yes. They increase the dynamic range, which makes noise more visible. If that is the reason why you're seeing noise, then using less dynamic range will work around the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR
    @ Daniel - what address should I send to on yousendit.com

Any address, even your own. It doesn't send the file by e-mail, it just gives you a link to the file. Then you can post the link here and anyone can download it.

On my 50D i don´t have that kind of issues with noise at all... i think it is pretty well controlled...

I'll post the images later this evening, but I did some test shots last night at the full ISO stop intervals and viewed them in DPP RAW and they didnt look that bad, at 800 its clear at 100% but at screen fit it was acceptable. Even 1600 would print reasonably ok, so I am beginning to think it's Lightroom settings. Anyway, let's see!