Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on a macro lens purchase + Poll

Re: Need advice on a macro lens purchase + Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    5D Mark II, 100/2.8L macro IS @ 100mm @ f/10 @ <span style="color: #ff0000;"]1/500s, manual focus, <span style="color: #ff0000;"]manual flash.
    Was this using your PocketWizard FlexTT5? Did you use HyperSync or Optimized High Speed Sync? How are you liking them? To me, the max sync speed of 1/200th on the 5D is reason enough to seriously consider the PocketWizard Flex system.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Good observation--yes, this was using the PocketWizards (TT5). What I basically did was set out a piece of regular copy paper on a table, took the spider and placed it on the paper, got my (mostly useless) gorillapod and mounted my flash+PW on it, and pointed it at a low angle at the spider. Turned on high-speed sync in the flash unit, calibrated, and shot away. I wasn't getting as much flash power as I liked--couldn't get shutter speed above 1/50s since ambient light was low--so I turned off ETTL and cranked the flash up to full power, but for some reason my camera didn't figure out I was no longer in ETTL. Manually calculated my exposure. As I was literally inches away from both the spider and the speedlite, I was not prepared for the intensely blinding power of full flash right beside my face....

Good times, good times.

Anyway, high-speed sync works well. I can confirm that. Remote triggering works well too. Would not try this with a more...active subject. I don't know what was going on with mr. spider. Even with eight eyes exposed to that kind of flash intensity, he barely made a move. But as soon as I released him in the backyard, he went scurrying off. Lucky for him I found him photogenic--I usually squash spiders. [:P]

Re: Need advice on a macro lens purchase + Poll

Have and use the Sigma 180 and the Canon 100. Love both, if I could only have one it would be the 180