Thread: How tough is the lens mount on DSLRs? + poll

How tough is the lens mount on DSLRs? + poll

My real question is, I have a 50D and a 7D. I used to have a 100-400 but just traded it for a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM as I really need a pro lens, and I think I'll get something different for length soon (like a 300mm f/4 IS with a 1.4x converter). Anyhow, if I mount the 70-200 2.8 or the 100-400 on one of my bodies, can I carry it at my side by the main grip? I NEVER do because I'm scared about breaking the lens mount, but I see some pros doing it now and then. I'm thinking it's okay on the 1-series cameras, but not on anything less..... what do you all think??

Re: How tough is the lens mount on DSLRs? + poll

Interesting thread. I was quite curious if Canon has a certain max. weight recommendation but I didn't find any numbers.

I did findthis thread which has some more info on the subject.

Sure, it's no problem at at all and I do it all the time with my 500 f/4L IS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    Sure, it's no problem at at all and I do it all the time with my 500 f/4L IS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Anyhow, if I mount the 70-200 2.8 or the 100-400 on one of my bodies, can I carry it at my side by the main grip?

Are you talking gripping the camera from the main grip and not holding the lens at all? What about holding the camera horiztonal with the lens pointing forward and not down?

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent
    What about holding the camera horiztonal with the lens pointing forward and not down?

Oh my goodness! I would never hold my DSLR with the lens pointing forward and not straight down, the lens mount surely can't be designed for that. Of course I only take pictures of my feet though...

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent
    Are you talking gripping the camera from the main grip and not holding the lens at all?

Yes, I do it when I chimp, or when I pull the camera up (when it sitting hood first on the ground) before my left hand gets a hold of the tripod colar.

WHAT?! a 500 f/4 weight like 7 or 8 pounds!

I'm talking about holding a 7D or 50D by the right side camera grip with 70-200 or something comparable mounted and NOT having my other hand on the lens at all... obviously I will for stabilizing when I'm shooting, and for zooming, but I mean just here and there to not have both hands on it. Normally, if I use one hand, I use my LEFT hand under the lens and take my right hand off the camera.. but I'm wondering if it's okay to do the reverse.

Please don't tell me you do what I'm talking about with a 500 f/4! ha!

Yes, I do it when I chimp, or when I pull the camera up (when it issitting hood first on the ground) before my left hand gets a hold of the tripod colar. I'm talking about my 500 f/4

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I use my LEFT hand under the lens and take my right hand off the camera.. but I'm wondering if it's okay to do the reverse.

Of course with your 70-200 f/2.8 you can do that, with my 500 it's too heavy to hold it in one handin shooting position.