Thread: Canon EOS 5D Mark II Shutter Sound

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Shutter Sound

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"]Goliath Nation Bank (GNB) felt appropriate to grant me and with a yearend bonus so it gives me great pleasure to announce that I am now a <span style="font-size: small; font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"]Canon EOS 5D Mark II<span style="font-size: small; font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"]owner :-)

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Arial;"]I picked up a refurbished model from Adorama...god I love their selection of refurbished goods! I digress, I just got it and haven't had a lot of time to play yet (I plan on giving it a full test over the weekend). One thing I have noticed though is that the shutter sounds NOTHING at all like my 50D. This isn't a bad thing but I was/am a little concerned. My 50Dsounds fast and crisp. The 5D sounds like a rubber band hitting a piece of tin. Is this how it should sound?

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark II Shutter Sound

Yeah sounds about right. I was a little taken how different it was from my 40D. It sounds completely different than my buddies 5D mkI also.

First off, congrats on your new purchase and wishes of many many good photos!!!

I describe the 5DIIshutter sound as metalic/springy and find it quite different fromthe sound madeany other DSLR that I owned/used.

I investigated this issue with Canon repsat B&amp;H event spaceand tried the reps' 5DII bodies and all 5DII B&amp;H floor models and I am happy to tell you it is quite normal.

I hope other 5DII users can confirm it.

I changed from the 20d to the 5dII. It's weird to have the adapt to a new kind of auditory feedback, but it grows on ya.

If you're real worried, go check out the 5dII review on this site. There's a recording of the shutter sound.

Thanks all. I feel much better now. I'm sure after a while my 50D will become the "odd" sounding shutter.

I couldn't find the shutter sound on Bryan's review. I know he often includes it in his reviews so I did look. I'll check again.

If you're like me you ctrl+f'd 'sound' and didn't find it. Try 'audio'.

Burst

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-Burst.mp3

Single shot:

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Thanks all. I feel much better now. I'm sure after a while my 50D will become the "odd" sounding shutter.

I couldn't find the shutter sound on Bryan's review. I know he often includes it in his reviews so I did look. I'll check again.

Scroll until you see the christmas tree lights referring to the black spot issue, you'll see the shutter/FPS chart and it will be just below that and a couple paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    Scroll until you see the christmas tree lights referring to the black spot issue, you'll see the shutter/FPS chart and it will be just below that and a couple paragraphs.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    Found it...man that 1Ds Mark III shutter sounds sweet [H]

Quote Originally Posted by asmodai
    If you're like me you ctrl+f'd 'sound' and didn't find it. Try 'audio'.
    Thanks! I Ctrl + F'd "shutter" which didn't find it. "audio" would have been the ticket []

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Found it...man that 1Ds Mark III shutter sounds sweet [img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yep. The 1D Mark III is mighty nice too. I was at an event in October, and between four of us there was a 1Ds2, a 1D3, a 5D, a 5D2, and a 40D. (Warning: biased opinion here) The 1D3 was the best of the bunch, the rest all sounded similar to each other but not nearly as crisp as a third-generation 1-series.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.