Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is your favorite lens? I'm interested in knowing.

Re: What is your favorite lens? I'm interested in knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsight

Canon 100-400 L

I wish I could afford a 1Ds MKIII so I could use a 2x with auto focus.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

AFAIK, even a 1-series can't autofocus the 100-400 with a 2x. Natively the lens is f/4.5-5.6, so with a 1.4 it becomes f/6.3-8, and f/8 is the limit of AF on the 1D/1Ds. F/5.6 is the limit on all other bodies if I remember correctly.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

100 2.8L IS. It is an excellent macro and portrait lens on 5D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Thanks Bomb

I have 5DmkII but I don't use that for surf shots due slow frame rate. The 40D's 6.5 fps is good but I'm seriously thinking about the 7D for 8fps and the crop ability of 18MPs. I'd love a 1D4 but I can't justify that.

I hope nobody gets all technical on me, but I would think that the 7D's crop ability of 18MPs would give you similar reach to a 40D with a 1.4x teleconverter -- not to mention the vast difference you'd see in AF performance and image quality (both from better AF and sensor performance in the 7D and from not using a TC). Yes?

With respect to the OP's question, upgrading your body could very well give you a whole new set of reasons to support your choice of "favorite lens" -- or it could give you new-found appreciation for glass you don't use that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lucia

I hope nobody gets all technical on me, but I would think that the 7D's crop ability of 18MPs would give you similar reach to a 40D with a 1.4x teleconverter -- not to mention the vast difference you'd see in AF performance and image quality (both from better AF and sensor performance in the 7D and from not using a TC). Yes?

Yeah that is why I was asking. I didn't realize the limitations of converters. 7D is the route I'll take.

My favorite lens is the 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

Quote Originally Posted by divine_evo

My favorite lens is the 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ditto. I still haven't decided if I should upgrade to the II. (Guess the decision will be easier when I know the price )

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    Ditto. I still haven't decided if I should upgrade to the II. (Guess the decision will be easier when I know the price )

Hopefully it wont be a matter of "if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." []

My EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS is my workhorse.

By far it would have to be my Minolta 600mm f/6.3 converted to Canon mount. Almost all my pictures on my acount are taken with that lens.

This was taken with it, the 600mm focal length gave me lots of working distance so he was very relaxed!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.86/_5F00_MG_5F00_8464.TIF-reduced.JPG[/img]

Enjoy,

John.

The Canon 24-105L on my XTi (sold), and now my new 50D. Awesome for outdoor vacation pics, people shots, landscapes (although not as wide on a 1.6x body). Also works well forindoor family pics. Very sharp.