Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon will release an EF-S 35mm f/1.8 for $200?

Re: Canon will release an EF-S 35mm f/1.8 for $200?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.s.Maneri

I was obviously answering his question.next time you should readbefore you correct someone

Actually, I viewed it as clarification, not 'correction'. But, my profound apologies! Next time I'll try to read similarly eloquent, two-word responses withexceptional diligence and care, prior to framing a cogent response. Have a great day or night, nevertheless!

I voted yes. Although I'd prefer to see a 15mm f/2, the 35mm seems a lot more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    Why would they when you can get the EF 35mm f/2.0 for $300?

Because the existing (old) 35mm f/2 pales in comparison to what a quality new EF-S 35mm could be. Also, Nikon had a $300 35mm f/2, but they still came out with a $200 35mm f/1.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Because the existing (old) 35mm f/2 pales in comparison to what a quality new EF-S 35mm could be. Also, Nikon had a $300 35mm f/2, but they still came out with a $200 35mm f/1.8.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Since I do not use EF-S lenses I have not kept up with what the market is doing. I guess they need to keep up with the Jones. A 35 f1.8 for $200 would be great. From what I can see the existing (old) 35mm f/2 has better IQ than the Nikon 35 f1.8. If Canon would upgrade the existing EF 35 f2 to USM and f1.8 I would buy it even for $350. If all I had was a crop body a EF-S 35 f1.8 for $200 would be in my bag for sure.

Mark
    Mark

My 50/1.8 pretty much never leaves my camera, so I got pretty excited about the talk of a 35/1.8 with similar IQ and price. The more I got to thinking about it though, the difference between 50mm and 35mm isn't that much, and probably not worth changing a lens, for the photos I take at least. I think I'd rather see a 24/2 or something along those lines. It would be really cool to see Canonraise the bar instead of just matching Nikon, and release something like an EF-S 10mm or 12mm prime! I doubt they could keep that around $200 though...

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    From what I can see the existing (old) 35mm f/2 has better IQ than the Nikon 35 f1.8.

You may be right. I haven't seen any really suitable comparisons of MTF (someone would have to put the Nikon on a Canon body to really test it equally). One thing you can tell is that the Nikon has better bokeh and autofocus.

If they make it, I'll be in line to buy one. This sounds like a killer lens.

Quote Originally Posted by lcnewkirk
    It would be really cool to see Canonraise the bar instead of just matching Nikon, and release something like an EF-S 10mm or 12mm prime! I doubt they could keep that around $200 though...

I would love that too. The only primes I can think of right now are the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. It would be nice to have a few primes in between those two extremes. []