Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep My 50D or Trade for A 5D MkI

Re: Keep My 50D or Trade for A 5D MkI

That would be a really tough decision for me as well. I have a 5D mkI and love it. It would depend on how beat up the 5D you are looking at is. Like you, I would not use many of the bells and wistles on the 50D either. If the 5D in question looks like they took care of it I would probably go for the trade but if you could wait and save for a 5D mkII and keep the 50D for a back up do that. If you are going to do weddings you will need a backup body.

Mark

Ugh, this is really tough one...I wish I was rich.

I'll probably at least meet up with the guy that has the 5D and check it out a bit. If it's in good shape I may just pull the trigger. The 5D has held its value very well so if I regret my decistion I'm sure I could get another 50D.

I think that's a good idea. Try it with your own lenses and see if you like it how they react on fullframe.

Just another question: why does he want a 50D?

Good luck!

Sean, terrific shot...

I'm curious how you rigged your camera to take that shot...

Leaving it on the hood would be stupid. I don't take you as stupid []

Camera looks a little elevated anyway. Did you have a strobe in the pasenger seat?

great work, regardless.

Obviously ducttape!!! [:P][]

I was curious about that as well. Apparently he has a 40D and a few EF-S lenses...I guess he thinks the 50D is an upgrade. He also said he was interested in the live view feature...probably marco work. I just tried live view for the first time last night. Seems like a cool idea but I don't think I would ever use it. It would probably be helpful in a stuido environment.

I've only used live view once (and the 10x magnification), and I loved it! But, I was making a still life photo, which I never do, and was using a tripod, which I never do. If I ever start to use a tripod (which I probably won't) I'm pretty sure I'd use live view every time.

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

Sean, terrific shot...

I'm curious how you rigged your camera to take that shot...

Leaving it on the hood would be stupid. I don't take you as stupid [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Camera looks a little elevated anyway. Did you have a strobe in the pasenger seat?

great work, regardless.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Click on the pic (I describe the setup in the caption of the flickr page)....and just so you know, you seriously underestimate my stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by pikers

I'm new to the forums but I've been been a loyal reader of thedigitalpicture.com for about a year now.

Welcome!

should I trade my 50D in for a 5D?

Yes! You're going to love it.

However, a few comments:

The 50D has lots of bells and whistles but I really don't use too many of them.

Why is that? If it's because you have been too busy shooting photos to really take the time to learn and utilize the features, I would encourage you to do so before you switch. For example, microadjustment makes my images twice as sharp. If you use autofocus, then it makes a world of difference if any lenses are slightly out of tolerance. Live view is another valuable feature: it makes it possible to have 100% perfect critical focus every time (for slow-paced shooting).

Here's my current gear:
    • Canon 17-40L
    • Canon 50mm 1.8
    • Canon 85mm 1.8
    • Canon 70-200mm f4L IS

Excellent lenses! Did you know that every time you use the 17-40 on a crop camera, an angel loses it's wings? That lens wants to be on full frame. The first time you try it you're going to gain a whole new appreciation for it - it's really like night and day. Same with the f/1.8 primes -- they really sing on full frame!

From the results that I've seen, the IQ is noticeably better than the 50D...gotta love that FF

When used at the same angle of view and depth of field, the 5D will usually give you better contrast and resolution, so this is a good reason.

ISO performance above 800 seems to be better on the 5D...this is VERY important to me

The 5D is better, but not much better. The 7D is better than the 5D at ISO 1600 and above, especially because it has no pattern noise ("banding", or "line noise") at high ISO. But you don't need all the bells and whistles of the 7D. Hopefully they will put the sensor in a cheaper body soon (like a 60D or 550D).

Using the same lens, you'll get much better bokeh with the 5D...again, important to me
    Minor clarification: The 5D and 50D will have the exact same "quality" of background blur (bokeh), but the 5D will have greater quantity of background blur (not bokeh).

It's older technology.

Don't worry about that -- if you don't need the features then it doesn't matter.

5D has more usage around 20-25K clicks. This was used by a "pro" wedding photographer so I'm expecting it to be in decent shape. I understand these are rated for 100k clicks but the camera is probably about 4 years old at this point. Should I be worried?

Yes, IMHO. It's not that big of a deal if the shutter or mirror assembly goes out, but at $250 it's still a nice chunk. There's other stuff to worry about too, like the lens mount being out of collimation (e.g. one side of a lens appearing slightly soft, when that same lens is perfectly sharp on other cameras). Also, I'm sure you'll see a ton of dirt in the viewfinder - the 5D sucks it in really good.

Many of the wedding photographers I know are very hard on their equipment. Setting lenses down in the dir with no rear lens cap - banging them around - etc. It's just a cheap tool to do a job after all, no reason to baby it. Amateur photographers are a lot more careful with their equipment - it cost a lot more relative to what it brings in. Unless they are timelapse photographers. We put hundreds of thousands of actuations on our cameras in a year -- avoid people like me unless you want to pay for a new mirror assembly right after you buy the camera. [].

You're going to love full frame!

Quote Originally Posted by lcnewkirk

I've only used live view once (and the 10x magnification), and I loved it! But, I was making a still life photo, which I never do, and was using a tripod, which I never do. If I ever start to use a tripod (which I probably won't) I'm pretty sure I'd use live view every time.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I use liveview all the time without a tripod -- just hold it up in front of your face like those dorky digicam users! You'll get funny looks from everyone, but I shot a six-digit wedding (ice sculptures, etc.) that way! There's no other way to get absolutely critically precise focus every time. The only problem is the ergonomics, but that can be fixed if you build or buy a shoulder mount.