Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Picking A Lens For 30D

Need Help Picking A Lens For 30D

I'm in the market for a zoom and have narrowed it down to two choices; 24-105 f/4L or the 17-55 f/2.8. Both are supposed to be wonderful. My problem is the future. I plan on going full frame in the future, but because of the cost it will probably be awhile.

I researched both extensively, and know the benefits of both, it really just comes down to future use, and whether or not the resale market is any good.

So do I buy a lens that won't work on the camera I hope to get and pray I can sell it, or do I just get the L?

Thanks for your insight.

Re: Need Help Picking A Lens For 30D

It all depends on the aperture. Do you need f/2.8? Do you need action-stopping shutter speeds in low light? If no, go for the 24-105.

I imagine the 17-55 could resell for a decent value.

Go ahead and buy for the ful frame. Consider the EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L or stretch a little further and get the 16-35mm f/2.8 L II

Mark
    Mark

I would consider 24-105 L F4 you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Williamson
    Both are supposed to be wonderful.

Yes, but some are more wonderful than others. [] The 17-55 is wider, faster, and sharper, while the 24-105 is longer, more versatile, and better built.

I plan on going full frame in the future, but because of the cost it will probably be awhile.

If it's not within the next 12 months, I say to go for the 17-55.

So do I buy a lens that won't work on the camera I hope to get and pray I can sell it, or do I just get the L?

You don't have to worry one whit about if you can sell it. The only question is whether you sell it for 30% off the purchase or price, or only 20%. Either way, well worth it to have a full stop more light.

The reason why I suggest the 17-55 is because I think wide angle is important. I love wide angle photography -- I could not make do with only "normal" and "telephoto" shots. I agree with Robert Capa, the famous TIME photographer:
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]<span style="visibility: visible;" id="main"]<span style="visibility: visible;" id="search"]"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough,"

Wide angle lenses let you get closer to the subject and still bring in the context of the environment, whereas telephoto lenses make the subject more distance, and isolate and remove the subject from its environment. Of course, that may be exactly what you want!

I know what you're thinking. "Did he recommend the 24-105 or 17-55?"
    Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost
    track myself. But being as both lenses have a 44mm, the most powerful focal length in the world, and would shoot your headshots really clean, you've got to
    ask yourself one question: Do I feel wide? Well, do ya, punk?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

The 17-55 is wider, faster, and sharper, while the 24-105 is longer, more versatile, and better built.

I checked the ISO charts for 28, 35 &amp; 50mm. The 24-105mm looks sharper to me.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    I checked the ISO charts for 28, 35 &amp; 50mm. The 24-105mm looks sharper to me.

You did not perform the comparison correctly. Read the [url="http://the-digital-picture.com/Help/ISO-12233.aspx]Chart Help Page[/url] where it says this:

<p style="padding-left: 30px;"]Lenses should be critically compared to each other only with test samples from the same camera body..

(Emphasis mine.) This is really important, because the 24-105 would look much worse if the chart had a 50D body. For example, look at the 28-135. On that lens, both bodies are available in the test:

28-135 on 1Ds3 @ 28mm f/3.5 vs 28-135 on 50D @ 28mm f/3.4

See how much worse the 50D looks? If the chart for 50D+24-105 was available, you'd see that it is worse than 50D+17-55.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I agree with Robert Capa, the famous TIME photographer:
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]<span style="visibility: visible;" id="main"]<span style="visibility: visible;" id="search"]"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough,"

I guess I know now why my macro shots turn out so much better than my astrophotos.

I've heard that the 17-55 has issues with dust; something I assume the 24-105 wouldn't have. I'm still new to the world of photography, so I'm not sure how much of a concern that should be. Also, how likely do you guys think Canon is to release a 24-70 F/2.8L IS? I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, but would probably be worth saving up for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    I guess I know now why my macro shots turn out so much better than my astrophotos.

[]

I've heard that the 17-55 has
    issues with dust; something I assume the 24-105 wouldn't have. I'm
    still new to the world of photography, so I'm not sure how much of a
    concern that should be.

It's true; the 17-55 does get a lot more dust than the 24-105. The only question is whether it will be important or not. Personally, I don't think it has any appreciable effect on image quality, so I think the only negative effect will be on resale value.

Also, how likely do you guys think Canon is to
    release a 24-70 F/2.8L IS? I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, but would
    probably be worth saving up for.

My guess is that it is likely.