Thread: What is ERROR 99??

What is ERROR 99??

Just what really causes error 99??

It is a pain in the neck for most canon users I know. Just what really causes it??

Re: What is ERROR 99??

I think it means the shutter is blown

Error 99 is when the camera knows it has a problem, but doesn't know what the problem really is. It can be anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jks

Just what really causes error 99??

An internal error.

Quote Originally Posted by jks

It is a pain in the neck for most canon users I know. Just what really causes it??
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

An internal error. Canon doesn't publish a table of what the codes mean. Who cares, anyway? You aren't going to be able to fix it. You're going to be able to box up the camera and ship it to Canon for diagnosis and repair. That's what Canon wants you to do, and that's what you should do.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

One reoccuring Err 99 code I have rec'd is when shooting in extremely cold weather (below specified operating parameters) such as 15 degrees F. I have rec'd this code several times when shooting in cold weather, but keep the camera warmand it goes away. As others have said, it just seems to be a generic error code used for an otherwise unspecified problem.For me, it has been easily corrected with a simple power off/on. But I have read that others have had much more serious issues that require the camera to be sent to Canon.
    Bob