Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best value for money Canon DSLR???

best value for money Canon DSLR???

which DSLR in Canon's current lineup would you say has the best value for money?

Read as : gives best IQ, low noise, high megapixel, durability,

Re: best value for money Canon DSLR???

Canon 5D MarkII Full Frame@2600 or Canon 7D 1.6 FOVCF@1800 take your pick. Both of these as listed - body only.

Or depending on your definition of best value, you can go for the new Canon 1DMarkIV 1.3 FOVCF camera at 4999.99 body only.

Further clarification is required, maybe a budget value assigned may help.

[]
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

1D Mark II or 5D Original for around $1,000 used.

no budget value. I guess to better clarify things I'd say the camera is to be used by an advanced/serious amateur.

I'd say the 7D. At only $1699 body only it's weather-sealed, durable, feels great, decent low-noise, great IQ with good lenses, supports 30fps video @ 1080 and 60fps video @ 720p, dual-digic IV, 8fps, multiple RAW types, ultra-precision focusing for lenses f/2.8 or faster, 18MP, beautiful LCD display, self-cleaning, integrated Speedlite wireless controller, selectable AF points for different orientations, it's 1.6x crop so great for sports or wildlife, it's lightweight but rugged, NEW .... need I go on?

I think there are plenty of other great cameras for different uses, and I'm not saying it's better all-around... but I think for $1699 you can't beat that. You can almost double that to get a camera (5D MKII) with WORSE video, FF (advantage and disadvantage depending on your needs), older processing and controls, slow frame rate, heavy, older screen, etc... or you can pay like 3 to 4 times as much for basically a somewhat better 7D - but do most people need all that power? Alternatively, you can pay $500 LESS for a 50D -> no video, less MP, slower frame rate (still fast though), not weather-sealed, no AF orientation functions, worse AI Servo, no wireless controller.... or you can pay half the price for a Rebel. Basically the same as the 50D but worse in multiple ways and a crappy body and shutter added to the list.

7D! mmmm

anyone agree?

Best Value, Rebel XS. Why? For a bit more money than a quality point and shoot, you get full access to the Canon SLR system. No, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either. It's not a crappy camera in any way. all IMHO.

brendan

One other thing: When the 5D II gets replaced by the 5D III After 2 months the 5D II will cost less than $2000. thatwould be the best value.

I'd go with the 500D (T1i). It costs four times less than the 5D2 and 2.5X less than the 7D, but the image quality is not proportionately worse. When the T2i hits the streets, I estimate that it will have even better value.

............or you can pay half the price for a Rebel. Basically the same as the 50D but worse in multiple ways and a crappy body and shutter added to the list.

there is nothing wrong with rebels. i have had an XSi for a year and a half.......and i am very happy with it. am i a professional?? no! i am still learning, as well as most professionals are continually learning.is the body crappy?? i dont think so, but i guess that depends on your perspective. if you are using a 1D, or 5D, i can see where you would think a rebels body is crappy. yes, having a weather sealed magnesium body would be nice, but do i need it? no! i dont see myself hanging off a cliff in a blinding blizzard, trying to get a great shot of a couger about to jump a sheep(lol).do i need video?? no! do i forsee myself upgrading to a full frame professional camera? no! yes, i would like the T2i when it comes out......but can i afford it?? probly not right now....i am saving up for a new lens, prob the 100f/2.8L macro. to me, and i imagine a lot of others, having good glass is a priority, lens' will last over many bodies.

i guess ask yourself what i asked myself a year and a half ago......what do i need? what will i be happy with? do i need all the bells and whistles of a higher end body? and more important......what can i afford? those are the questions i asked myself and answered, and as i have said.....i am very happy with my rebel

Hey, my first DSLR was a Rebel XSi (450D) and my first non-kit lens I purchased was an EF 100-400mm L IS USM. Why? Because it was good quality, long glass and WOW did my pictures increase in quality. I could probably STILL use that Rebel and I'd be cranking off nice photos.... would I want to though? Naw, I'm happy with my 7D.. (dang, now you got me question-talking too!)