Thread: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???

Quote Originally Posted by jks

I mainly shoot portraits and events such as weddings and bdays and such. I guess I'm trying to look for equipment that will give me great images that are shot in low or poor lighting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by jks

I might look into primes in coming months.

Given what you want to shoot, I would think you should have been looking into primes sooner, perhaps before dropping ~$3K on zooms. Yes, f/2.8 is fast - for a zoom lens, that is. The EF 85mm f/1.2L and the EF 50mm f/1.2L are excellent portrait lenses that let in five times as much light as an f/2.8 zoom. Even the relatively inexpensive EF 85mm f/1.8 and EF 50mm f/1.4, which still deliver very good IQ, let in 3 and 4 times as much light as the f/2.8 zooms, respectively.

Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Given what you want to shoot, I would think you should have been looking into primes sooner, perhaps before dropping ~$3K on zooms. Yes, f/2.8 is fast - for a zoom lens, that is. The EF 85mm f/1.2L and the EF 50mm f/1.2L are excellent portrait lenses that let in five times as much light as an f/2.8 zoom. Even the relatively inexpensive EF 85mm f/1.8 and EF 50mm f/1.4, which still deliver very good IQ, let in 3 and 4 times as much light as the f/2.8 zooms, respectively.

I agree 100%. I mainly use f/4 zooms and an f/4 telephoto prime. I am still amazed at the light gathering capabilities of my 50mm f/1.4 whenever the light fades and I switch over. It's like getting an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day!