Thread: Dirty Pictures

Dirty Pictures

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.35.77/2010_5F00_02_5F00_04_5F00_1856-_2800_Large_2900_.JPG[/img]

Hi guys, i'm a newbie in photography, and yesterday while taking these shots with this specs

F/25
    1/166
    ISO-100
    Spot Metering

I realized that there's ALOT of dust in my camera. I've noticed i had some spots on the view finder but i hadn't seen these on the picture.

I have a Rebel T1i, and i was wondering what's the best way to get rid of this dust that sometimes gets in the pix?

Re: Dirty Pictures

Dust is a fact of life!

I see that you're shooting at f/25, use larger aperture, like f/8 and larger and the dust should be less visible or maybe disappear all together.

You can do 4 things to get rid of the dust spots
    1. Use a rocket blower, but stubborn dust particles are hard to be blown off.
    2. Clone them out in post processing
    3. Wet cleaning, just goolge "Sensor Cleaning"
    4. Send it to Canon, it's free if your camera is under warranty, $30 if not.

Well of course the best way is to remove your lens, open the shutter and then submerge your camera in a sink of soapy warm water. Shake it around for a few minutes and I guarantee you won't be concerned about dust spots after that!

[:P]

I did want to (seriously) recommend the Rocket Blower. It's the least intrusive way to clean your sensor, and so far it's been sufficient for me - that and the auto-clean routine the camera does on start-up and shutdown.

Dust will show best on shots at small apertures on gray backgrounds - like your shot above. But that doesn't look very bad to me; I'll bet a good cleaning with an air blower would take care of those spots.

One thing - I'm sure you're already aware but it can't hurt to mention it - don't use compressed air. Those cans contain chemicals - the propellant - and you don't want its residue on your sensor.

Shoot that background stopped down to f/22 - you don't have to focus - and then view the shots at 100% on your monitor. Do the air clean and then re-test. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

There are many other options but I'd suggest trying the "dry-cleaning" method first. If you need to really "scrub" your sensor there are plenty of good tools out there that'll do the job. But my guess is you won't need them.

Good luck and happy shooting!

I use Rocket Blower first:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Giottos-Rocket-Air-Blower-Review.aspx

Then, if I still have dust, I try my sensor brush:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Visible-Dust-Sensor-Brush-Review.aspx

(I have a different one, but I don't think it matters...)

Finally, if there' still dust, I use swabs and Eclipse 2 (depending on your camera, you might need the original Eclipse):

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Photographic-Solutions-Eclipse-Review.aspx

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Photographic-Solutions-Eclipse-E2-Review.aspx

The first two I can also do while traveling (indoors, of course!), whereas I generally use the swabs when I get back home for "major" cleaning efforts.

I did try SensorKlear but I never got decent results with it...

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    Well of course the best way is to remove your lens, open the shutter and then submerge your camera in a sink of soapy warm water. Shake it around for a few minutes and I guarantee you won't be concerned about dust spots after that!

[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    Shoot that background stopped down to f/22 - you don't have to focus

Actually, to see the spots best, it's recommend that (a) you use the narrower aperture you have (as you said above), (b) focus to infinity, and (c) zoom to maximum.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Printezis

Actually, to see the spots best, it's recommend that (a) you use the narrower aperture you have (as you said above), (b) focus to infinity, and (c) zoom to maximum.

...and (d) focus on a light-colored, homogenous background like a clear, blue sky or a clean white wall.

Ok, so i've used the blower, and the dust still there, also i have like 2 or 3 dark spots on teh viewfinder that DONT COME OFF!! Im in miami, i tried scheduling a service on the canon website and the closest place they have is in California or Canada, lol, really? 3 weeks w.o. a camera? dang. any other sugestions?

You could also try your local camerastore. They can probably clean the sensor for a small amount of money. Or you could buy a set yourself and try it at home. Or try the Tony-method, but if you're not comfortable with it, just let a professional clean it for you.