Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T2i or 7D

T2i or 7D

Looking for opinions on my upgrade decision.

I've been using a 20D with a 28-105 3.5 that was given to me. I want to upgrade equipment for the obvious reasons the new technology can give.

I'm debating between saving money for the lighter T2i that was just announced, or getting the 7D.

I mainly shoot recreational photos of either landscapes or people, depending on where I am. I also do some sports/ action photography and will eventually be getting a 70-200 2.8 IS.

Since I've been using a 20D, I like the controls on the 7D better, but learning the T2i couldn't be too difficult I would hope.

With either camera, I would replace my current lens. Probably get the 28-135 with the 7D or the 18-55 with the T2i.

Any input?

Re: T2i or 7D

OMG! I was faced with this same dilemma all week! Finally, decided on the 7D today upgrading from a T1i.
    If you decide on the T2i, I will sell you my 18-55mmso you can just buy the body only and save some $$. I only used it a couple times and I just got it in September. Let me know if interested.

It is a tough decision. The T2i has made some very nice improvements over the T1i and the price is very atractive.Less weight isalways a plus. I probably would have gotten that and put the saved $$ toward a lens but since I sold my T1i yesterday, I don't have the patience to be without a camera for an entire month!

Denise

Scotty,

Comparing the 7D and T1i is like comparing a BMW and a Lamborghini. The 7D is better at everything. If you can afford it, go for the 7D.

However, I will advise you to buy neither. You need a better lens, a 20D and L-series lens will give you far better results than a 7D and 28-135. So, I'll suggest you buy a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens for your 20d. Glass is always the #1 factor, an amateur body and pro lens will make better images than a pro body and amateur lens. Get some good glass first, then buy a better body.

my 2¢: Glass before body.

Good Luck!

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

It is a tough decision. The T2i has made some very nice improvements over the T1i and the price is very atractive.Less weight isalways a plus. I probably would have gotten that and put the saved $ toward a lens but since I sold my T1i yesterday, I don't have the patience to be without a camera for an entire month!

Denise, you said that your T1i was "slow and small". The T2i is both of those things, the 7D is in a whole other class of camera. Believe me, you made the right decision. The 7D is a huge step up for you, I'll think you'll benefit from it more than a T2i.

Good Luck!

brendan

Thanks burns.

That definitely changes the way I am thinking. The lens may need ot be the first upgrade before the camera. My 20D was my father's, and thinking of it now, he purchased his 70-200 and 28-70 before switching to the pair of 1D's that he uses now. I've been told that the glass will always last longer than the camera b/c of technology changes.

Quote Originally Posted by VSUScotty
    I've been told that the glass will always last longer than the camera b/c of technology changes.

True dat. Lenses have a 6-10 year product cycle, Bodies have a 1-3 year product cycle. Lenses also last longer, and are not subject to digital rot. In general, glass is a better investment.

brendan

7D for sure!

I'd go with a glass upgrade, it makes more sence in your position.

John.

Skip the body for now, and get the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS that you had your eye on. The 20D is still a good camera, but as John says, glass is king. It will work on whatever body you may end up with in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by VSUScotty
    Probably get the 28-135 with the 7D

That's $1900 right now, and I don't think it would be the best choice for what you want to shoot. Here are a few alternatives for a similar amount of money:
    • 20D + 70-200 f/2.8 IS ($1800)
    • T2i + 70-200 f/4 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ($1900 - best for people/landscapes)

• 7D + 70-200 f/4 + Canon 18-55 IS ($2400 - best for sports)

It sounds like people and landscape is most important, so I suggest the second option: T2i + 70-200 f/4 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ($1900). It gives you the best all-around quality and capability I think.

If sports and action is most important, then I suggest the 7D+70-200 f/4, and replacing your 28-105 with the kit lens (18-55 IS). Your people/lanscape shots will be a huge step up from the 20D+28-105, but they wont be as good as the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

The 20D and f/2.8 will still be much noisier than T2i at f/4. And sometimes you will have to stop down to f/4 anyway to get sufficient DOF, making the noise situation even worse.

For sports/action at high speeds (1/500+), the I.S. will be no benefit, so you can save a lot of money by getting the non-IS version. But then the same lens wont be as useful for landscapes or people. (If people are more important, go with the f/4 IS.)

The T2i has many features over the 20D that I consider vital, such as live view, video, screen size, anti-dust, etc. Your mileage may vary, but I would much prefer the T2i with 70-200 f/4 IS than the 20D with 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

In turn, the 7D has many vital features over the T2i: microadjust (makes autofocus much sharper for me), frame rate, autofocus, ergonomics, build quality, etc. It's really great for sports/action.

Hope that helps.