Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip for Great Photos - What do you Suggest?

Road Trip for Great Photos - What do you Suggest?

Hi All,

I live in SE Wisconsin and am thinking of taking a road trip this spring/early summerfor the primary purpose of getting some great scenic photos.

I have been born & raised in the same town that I still live in today and aside from driving to the Smokey Mountains anumber oftimes many years ago, I have not seen ANY of the US! I guess the word "workaholic" comes to mind!

I'd love to get some great photos of beautiful scenery and wildlife! Any recommendations for say a 4-5 day road trip from my area with not just destination in mind but many places/things to see along the way?

Thanks Much & Have a Wonderful Day,

Denise

Alan

Re: Road Trip for Great Photos - What do you Suggest?

Denise, I don't know what your interests are, but here's a suggestion: do a lighthouse tour in Michigan.

Check this site: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/pull-lights.asp

Of all the states in the union, Michigan has the most lighthouses. Many of them are located in the lower P, but there are several in the upper P, as well.

Even Wisconsin has lighthouses (e.g., Door county and near Lake Winnebago).

You can easily determine which lighthouses you want to visit. If you go down the eastern side of Michigan's lower P, cross over to the west, go north on the western side of the lower P, hit some highlighted places in the upper P, then swing down through the area near Oshkosh, you can easily fit in about 30 beautiful lighthouses.

This would be a 4-5 day trip. Michigan is in dire straights, economically, and you can just wing it for motels. You'll find one, no doubt. Or, if you're camping, you'll easily find places to stop.

Check the weather before you start. You want the sun or partly cloudy for the best shots.

Here's an example: The Whitefish Point lighthouse in the upper P:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/_5F00_MG_5F00_6097.jpg[/img]

The Michigan trip sounds awesome! Also, if you could get a little more time, say a week, I highly recommend going through the Dakotas and then to Glacier National Park in Montana. My family drove from our home in central Indiana to Glacier a couple years ago and it was the best trip of my life. The drive was beautiful the whole way! Since then we have flown out there again. It is a place that you can visit over and over again!

I think Calmars has a very nice idea.

Denise, great idea. I am cooped up here and don't have the opportunities you have for photos, I'm jealous! [:S] I unfortunately have no knowledge of Michigan and can't really help you here, but I think you are onto something. I think you should ask your question about road trips in another forum that is dedicated to the subject so you will receive some more detailed answers.

Anyways, congratulations on your 17-55mm IS. You will love it. Just make sure It stays clean ~ dust is its biggest weakness.

Good Luck!

brendan

Alan

Denise, Glacier is also very beautiful, but you won't be able to make it in a 4-5 day road trip. I don't know where you live in SE Wisconsin, but if I could presume that you live near Janesville, that's well over 1500 miles just to Glacier. That's 2 days of heavy driving, which leaves you precious little time to stop for photo ops. Plus, you'll not find much as you head across SD. It's much like the surface of the moon, in terms of terrain. Same with Montana.

If you consider such a trip to Glacier, the better way to go is through SD and WY.

There are the Badlands, in Wall, SD. That's well worth the stop. You'll want to rummage around that park for a while. On your way to Glacier, you could also stop at Mt Rushmore. Then, while you're in the area, a stop at Devil's Tower, in Wyoming.

If you do head to Glacier, drive through Wyoming, through the Big Horn Mountain range. Much more interesting than Montana, though there are plenty of high desert areas in Wyoming, til you get to the mountains.

As far as Glacier being a goal, it isn't just Glacier that is in that area, but Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Park.

If you are willing to drive all that way to get to Glacier, you'd be remiss not to see Yellowstone and the Tetons. Some of the most beautiful scenery, ever, is present in these two parks.

However, it will take 4 days of hard driving (2 out, 2 back) just to get there from SE Wisconsin. You won't be able to see anything remarkable (except the Badlands/Devil's Tower/Rushmore) til you're near the mountain range. If you slated 10 days for such a trip, it would be a more reasonable time frame.

But, in 4-5 days? No way.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Even Wisconsin has lighthouses (e.g., Door county and near Lake Winnebago).

Yes, we do have plenty of lighthouses, there is one about 5 minutes from my house (pic below taken last weekend thru the window of the museum across the road). I am looking forward to going to Door County hopefully in the fall, defintely the place to be that time of year and I can't believe I have never gone!

Thanks, Denise

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_0009-copy.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by calmars

The Michigan trip sounds awesome! Also, if you could get a little more time, say a week, I highly recommend going through the Dakotas and then to Glacier National Park in Montana. My family drove from our home in central Indiana to Glacier a couple years ago and it was the best trip of my life. The drive was beautiful the whole way! Since then we have flown out there again. It is a place that you can visit over and over again!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I was thinking maybe heading west would be the best way to go and maybe extend the trip a few days. That's why I posted the question, to get suggestions of covering lots in a short amount of time rather than drive on endless roads with absolutely nothing to look at. Did that for large parts of the trip to Tennessee. Thank you so much for your suggestions, it has been very helpful!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    I am cooped up here and don't have the opportunities you have for photos, I'm jealous!
    The company I work for just opened an office in PA in Holtwood. I don't know how close that is to you but my friend that was transferred out there to head it told me there isn't much around where he's at. To me, anywhere has more to see than what I have here, other than Lake Michigan ...I love the lake and the surrounding smaller lakes!!

Denise

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

I was thinking maybe heading west would be the best way to go and maybe extend the trip a few days.

Denise
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Denise, the west trip is definitely more interesting, since mountains offer so much more scenery, in and around them.

Bryan has some pics on the site, of areas in the Tetons (e.g., Schwabacher's landing, barns on Mormon row, etc.). You could easily spend several days in and near the Tetons. The cathedral group of mountains will be loaded with snow come spring, and offer some spectacular viewing. Usually, it's still a bit iffy on the weather until late May. But, late spring/early summer will give you the snowiest peaks.

Go for it!

Holtwood's about two hours west of where I am (Philadelphia). Since I am primarily a bird photographer, Pennsylvania is somewhat boring. But within two hours of driving is Cape May, Brigantine, and Conowingo Dam. Those are basically some of the best birding locations in the Mid-Atlantic US, so I guess I can't complain too much. I'm not able to go to those places very much, unfortunately.

brendan